よつばと! Vol 4 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Whoa, you guys aren’t kidding on the text-heavyness. I’ll add as I go if I get that far today.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d mind fish guts, they’re dead. Aren’t worms alive? I hate those. :no_good_man:

2 Likes

I have a cold so I only had enough focus to get to page 40 today.

I remember this chapter being one of the harder ones to understand back when I read without thorough looking-up. With the vocab list (and with the practice I’ve spent reading in between) it’s been much better! The only piece that I had to take some time to work out so far were the おかず jokes in the beginning.

I assume they are saying if you can’t catch anything, there’s nothing to eat along with the onigiri.

For the “who do you relate to in this chapter” question I would also be a Miura - as much as I enjoy being competent, it’s really disturbing to puncture a living animal…especially when they pierced through its eye!

5 Likes

I know, right :fearful:
Anything even close to touching eyes is such a no-go for me, never mind actually stabbing something into them. Just…NOPE. Let’s leave everything’s eyes alone. ^^;

That was what I got as well.

2 Likes

I have a cold too. Did… did you give it to me?

Yep, that’s exactly it. You eat what you catch.

I reckon I’d be Koiwai. The only sane man.

3 Likes

Whew, vocab list done, barring any words that I skipped (or didn’t spot) which could possibly have done with an entry. It is, by a fair margin, the longest vocab list for any chapter so far (though I guess it’s making up for the short list from the previous chapter).

I swear, though, Jumbo is such a brat.

5 Likes

Whoops - guess that’s the danger of joining a book club! :mask:

Glad to hear you guys are on the same page about catching what you eat.

1 Like

Got one sentence to work out.

Page 40, first panel, Jumbo:
「これでこの一画は少なくとも20匹ニジマスがいるわけだ」
This way, there will be at least 20 trout in this single plot.?

This is my first time looking into わけだ grammar-wise.

Finished the chapter - it’s still a tough one to get through, I think especially because there’s a lot of fishing-related vocabulary I haven’t seen before.
And I loved Yotsuba’s crazed food excitement face in this panel!

3 Likes

Exactly

Kinda think Yotsuba’s sudden and slightly inexplicable food craze is a way of removing her (and Koiwai) from the conversation in the closing pages of the chapter.

4 Likes

Thanks, it’s really nice to actually dig into sentences I don’t get rather than glossing over them!

I really appreciate you guys being there to confirm / elaborate!

2 Likes

I’d be more like Jumbo, super exited and putting the grub in the hands of the person who already stated earthworms are bad :wink:
Hey! Not an earthworm! It’s a grub! =P
Well, I would try to convince them to take it rather than force though =^_^=

2 Likes

Page 30

The chapter’s not even properly started yet and I can see how tough it’s going to be! I’m really out of my depth in this one (you could even call me a fish out of water, but that would be too corny a joke for this chapter) so I’m not going to drive myself insane trying to understand everything, and I’m going to skim over loads. I’ll ask some questions if I may, but they will be just the things that most bug me, and I hope they won’t be too annoying for everyone else. Thank you in advance!

Okay, page 30: きのう図書館で釣りの本借りて読んだもん

きのう - 昨日 - yesterday
図書館で - in the library
釣りの本 - a book about fishing
借りて読んだ - borrowed and read

もん - this is my question! What does もん mean?

2 Likes

Page 30

And Miura looks shocked… え?! 釣れなかったらおかず無し?!
“Eh?! If we don’t catch any fish, we don’t get to eat anything apart from plain onigiri?”

No problems there, but the grammar of 釣れなかったら is a bit tricky.
I know it is a conditional, but how is it formed?

Looking at this table, it seems to be based on the “potential” form, right there on the bottom left. Is that correct? The な must come about because it is a negative. And たら shows a condition, but what is the かっ?

1 Like

The たら conditional is formed by changing the verb to the past tense and then adding ら – so in this case, the conjugated verb you’re asking about comes from the the past tense negative, 釣らなかった + the ら

(釣らなかった comes from the conjugation of the present negative 釣らない – when it gets changed to the past tense, the い at the end is changed to that かった you’re asking about)

釣らな + かった → 釣らなかった(ら)

^^

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much! That’s a brilliant explanation! I’ve read it once and now I’m going to work through it in detail. Thank you so much! Much appreciated!

1 Like

どういたしまして ! ^^

2 Likes

I’ve honestly never really gotten the hang of sentence-ending もんs, though I’ve seen it around more than a few times. It’s a variation on 物. Imiwa says, among several other possible meanings, “(after a verb in past tense) used to indicate a common occurrence in the past”, so it could mean “I read a book about fishing I borrowed from the library yesterday, like I usually do”. Or something.

Other possible meanings here include “reason” (i.e. “(it’s ok) because I read a book yesterday”) or, listed in a separate entry for some reason, “(at sentence-end) indicates a desire to be pampered or indulged”…

2 Likes

It’s an N3 grammar point according to BunPro. We learned it as another way to indicate reason.

It may not help with the meaning too much, but thinking of the grammar point as “it’s a thing” helps me remember it. “It’s a thing” covers both “explanatory” and “usually” cases.

きのう図書館で釣りの本借りて読んだもん

It’s a thing that yesterday, at the library, (you if Mrs. Ayase/I if Ena) borrowed and read a fishing book.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s “I”. Ena is speaking. Curse Azuma-sensei and his tiny tiny speech bubble leaders.

2 Likes

Could be “I”. I don’t remember who said it between Ena and Mrs. Ayase.