よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Discussion of Chapter 17 started a little bit above here. Thanks to everyone who helped out with this chapter’s vocab list!

2 Likes

They probably wouldn’t sell anyway, and that’s the good part about being the owner.
He seemed to care about kids, so giving her this present is surely not a big deal.

1 Like

Yeah, I hope it’s that. They managed to bring along an incredible amount of flowers.

Yeah, he bought more flowers than they could sell - says so on Page 75. Plus, it’s free advertising. :slightly_smiling_face:

Plus, who could not give flowers to that face? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

LOL! Brilliant!
I’ve only had one quick read-through of this chapter so far, but I know exactly how Yotsuba feels in that middle panel on page 54! (So funny!)

1 Like

Page 6

I’m really sorry everyone. I want to get cracking on chapter 15, but I came across something today from way back on page 6. I hope you don’t mind if I ask here now. I hope it will just be quick. Is my breakdown correct (anything that is, is due to the vocab list! Thank you!)

これはとーちゃんにあげようとおもってもってかえったんだった

これ - this
は - subject marker
とーちゃん - father (casual)
に - to
あげ - 上げる - to give
ようと - a verb ending I don’t understand
おもって - to think/plan/want in て form
もってかえった - brought back home (not sure what is going on with the て here)
ん - explanation particle
だった - past tense

My apologies again.

1 Like

Again, thank you so much, and again I’m only at the stage of giving this chapter a quick read-through. But how did Kowai (that’s Yotsuba and her dad, right) get into the conversation here? It’d make more sense to me if Jumbo was saying ほらFuukaとこの as a rebuttal. Or am I just out of my depth?

Thank you for that! Would your trick make any difference in this particular sentence? I mean, imagine you never had the context here, could you see any difference? Just wondering.

I think you are right. I just asked my wife and she says that when she’s in a flower shop she’s always called it a ガラスケース, but that’s just her. When I put 花のケーパー into google images, it seems that that is the correct term! It’s not often I can teach my wife Japanese! LOL!

2 Likes

Page 60

Could it just be 買いましょうか…?
(If it is a hard stance, she wouldn’t end with a か would she?)

1 Like

That ain’t something you need to apologise for. There’s no problem with backtracking.

Your breakdown is mostly fine. Just one thing you weren’t sure of: あげよう is the plain volitional form of the verb あげる. Volitional form means “let’s (verb)” - for example, 食べよう = “let’s eat!” or 行こう = “let’s go!” Volitional form + と思う is an expression meaning “I think I will (verb)”. (As in, expressing an intent, not predicting the future). So あげようともった = I thought I’d give it (to you).

Not entirely sure why you’re confused about the て in もってかえった. “Held and returned” = “Brought home”.

The vocab sheet used to say “コイ is short for Koiwai” for this line, which is why I brought it up, but it doesn’t any more. The line’s got nothing to do with him.

No, it’s just a pointer for general reference, because they conjugate differently.

馬がいった = I needed a horse
馬がいた = There was a horse

Oh, nice. Google Images is my usual trick for figuring out uncertain nouns - I’m not sure why I didn’t think of it here. It’s quite useful for working out the differences between similar words.

No, plain form of that is 買おう

か is frequently dropped in casual speech.

2 Likes

Fuuka chapter :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you again so much @Belthazar! Thank you!

1 Like

The first pages of chapter 16 (p.22/3) and the first pages of chapter 17 (p.50/1). Brilliant! :laughing:

1 Like

Indeed! Next should come Asagi. :smiley:

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be brilliant!

1 Like

Page 65

Thanks again to everyone who worked on the magnificent vocab list, I’m having no problems reading this chapter this week. But I am curious about the last panel on page 65:

前の子よりベッピンさんだフラれてよかったな隆

前の子より - compared to that last kid
ベッピンさんだ - this is a pretty girl
フラれて - て form of ふられる - 振られる - to be dumped (Jisho)
よかった - was good
な隆 - eh, Takashi

Compared to that last kid, this is a pretty girl. It’s good that you got dumped, eh Takashi.

My question is about フラれてよかった.

Is this a normal pattern?
て-form + よかった = it’s good that V?

「よつばと!」を読んでよかった - It’s good that (you) read “Yotsubato!”

Does that work?

1 Like

Yes. :slight_smile:

One of the uses of よかった is with verb て-form + よかった: I am glad I did ~ / something happened.
Such as: 皆と「よつばと!」を読んでよかった!

There are, of course, more uses to it. Better illustrated here: よかった

2 Likes

Yep. This is the て-form acting in its role as a weak conditional. “You got dumped and that’s a good thing”.

3 Likes

Thank you, and …
Yipeeeeeeeee!
That is the very first time I’ve worked out a bit of grammar for myself just from reading.
Can’t tell you how pleased I am!

5 Likes