よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

ぜんぜん

My Japanese doesn’t suffice to express this, but I strongly urge anyone who comes across elephant rides still extant in the modern era to take their business elsewhere. In order to get the elephants docile enough to be ridden, they must first be tortured until their spirits break.

レッサーパンダ

モルモットですから

気がする is an expression meaning “to have a certain mood or feeling; to have a hunch​” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Well, I think most of us already read the chapter.
It was short and mostly covered by the vocab list, imo.

Also the elephant, and the owl. :owl: :eyes:

@BobaGakusei
乗ったことがあるんですが、それはずっと前だった。地元のサーカスで象があって、写真を撮った。楽しかった。
動物なら、サメは最高だよね。
モルモットですから。:joy:

2 Likes

I know this is now way off topic, but I’m so glad you posted this @Belthazar . I lived in Thailand for six or seven years and met many people who happily took elephant rides who, if they had only known the unbelievable cruelty that goes into pacifying and “training” an elephant would most certainly never have done so. It breaks my heart to think of those poor animals enslaved and brutalized like they are.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Phew, just sped read to the end of chapter 18.

And that last frame! When Yotsuba sees how this very life is indeed the Pure Land itself! Wonderful! Wonderful!

1 Like

乗ったことないだけど、タイランドで旅行していたのとき機会があったことある。しかし、そのことは動物虐と思う。だから、全然乗りたくなかった。だけど私の友達は象を乗った。その後みんな乗ることを後悔した、なぜならは乗るの間中アイボリー物は買えることあったわけだ。

I’ve never ridden one, but I had the chance to when I was travelling in Thailand. However I think that kind of thing is animal cruelty. So I didn’t want to ride at all. But my friends rode the elephant. After that they all regretted riding it because during the ride ivory items could be bought.

ahh i hate how disjointed this paragraph is… can’t wait to be able to write a nice flowing passage one day

犬だよ!

1 Like

Thanks again to those who worked on Chapter 20’s vocab list! I’m very grateful to have your assistance; it takes a lot of work to make it so good.

Chapter 20 Vocab List

1 Like

On pg 140, Ena urges her father to use the massage ticket, but she says:
なくなったら再発行するから、使ってよ。
If (the ticket) is lost/disappears, (I’ll) reissue (it), so use (it).

I don’t see why the father would be incentivized to use the ticket if Ena will keep reissuing new ones. I would think he’d be incentivized if she wouldn’t reissue a ticket if it gets lost. Then again, Ena’s next line suggests she’ll add an expiration date on the new coupon, so is that the incentive?

Finally someone appreciates Fuuka’s puns. :relaxed:
That panel with Ena in a dress giving her dad a massage is so sad. :sob:

@BobaGakusei She probably just wants him to use it already, since she’s probably giving him more later anyway, and then thought about the expiration date, so he has to use them.

I love these perspective changes like the one in pages 141 & 142. :sunglasses:
Page 150: lol @ お父さん’s face :rofl: poor ジャンボ

敵か?味方か? so good
poor ジャンボ indeed

1 Like

It’s not “if you lose the ticket” it’s “if you run out of tickets”.

1 Like

“If you run out of tickets, I’ll make more, so use them.”

I think it’d make sense like this:

“I will make more only if you run out of tickets, so use them.”

But perhaps the context is enough to let that meaning through.

Kind of like, “You don’t need to wait until my wedding, I can make more y’know…”

4 Likes

Okay, let’s see… there’s 6 points of confusion on the vocab list still.

1. Page 140, there’s handwritten kanji next to the katakana テレビ. We’re not sure what about the TV needs to be set up. Can anyone identify the kanji?
  2. Page 142. What’s wrong with Yotsuba saying that she’ll でる at the fireworks display? Is this verb not something used with people?
  3. Page 148. しか買ってやらない. Does the やる add anything to the meaning? Why not just say しか買わない?
  4. Page 153. Yotsuba is trying to get Asagi to see the fireworks display and says あさぎに + みてもらいたい. I might be mixing up the give/receive verbs, but I think あげたい would have been better since Yotsuba is the subject of the sentence.
  5. Page 156. What is きてこう? It seems like it might be a compound verb with the casual + volitional conjugation.
  6. Page 156. Is つけとく short for 付けておく?
2 Likes
  1. The issue with recognising the kanji is that it’s in simplified form (i.e. compare 聞 with the version that appears in the manga). After more playing around with radicals, I rather suspect what we’re looking for is 欄 = column in a newspaper. “I’d like to see the TV column”.
  2. Think the meaning being used here is “to participate”, but she won’t be participating, she’ll be watching.
  3. やる is the higher-to-lower status version of あげる. 買ってやる = buy for her.
  4. Yeah, that I’m not entirely sure of.
  5. きて行こう, I think.
  6. Yes. Also, the meaning being used here is “to add”. I.e. add water to the flowers = water the flowers.
3 Likes
  1. It’s hard to read simplified kanji. T_T 欄 does look pretty close, if you assume the simplification is to 聞’s. (Though honestly, I wouldn’t have been able to identify either one.)
  2. でる does imply that she’ll be making an appearance, but a spectator wouldn’t do that.
  3. Oh yeah. We did just have a few chapters about やる(ing) flowers. It’s good to think of in terms of あげる.
  4. Oh well, the intent is still understandable.
  5. Another abbreviation, but 行こう does make the most sense.
  6. 付ける is a very versatile verb. “to apply” “to put on” are much closer in meaning than “to attach” if we’re referring to water and flowers.

It’s the last week for Volume 3. Thanks for reading along!

Chapter 21 Vocab List

1 Like

How long until we start volume 4? i might need to grab a copy of books 4-14 ><

1 Like

I suspect we’ll be taking a break for a while before starting on Volume 4. Perhaps a month or so? There isn’t a plan in-place yet, but we should figure this out in the meta-thread (よつばと! Reading club).

2 Likes

thank you i will look there!
a month is good for me

Page 122

Can I ask a quick question about way back on page 122?

What do people think is going on with the モテモテだなあ at the bottom of the page?

Is it the dad saying that Yotsuba is popular with the owl? Or something I’m not seeing?

(I love how terrified Yotsuba is! So cute!)

2 Likes