よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

You guys might want to move this topic to the new #japanese-language:reading section. :upside_down_face:

:thinking:

1 Like

@ to all frequent posters (2+ posts)

@marcusp @BobaGakusei @Belthazar @Kazzeon @Chellykins @jstrout @caitlinfrunks @Rowena @Borx

We’ll be moving this thread to the new reading section in 7 days.

The reading section will allow us to increase exposure of our reading club. However, since it will be publicly indexed by search engines (as opposed to private, the way Campfire threads are), if there’s anything you’d like to delete or edit out, now’s your chance.

5 Likes

@ to remaining posters (1 post) [there’s a limit of 10 @ mentions per post]

@Sky20 @saiakuma @Abstormal @fl0rm @seanblue @windupbird

See above post

1 Like

This is a reading group, not “share your thoughts, experiences and opinions”… so not sure why we need to wait?
All the others have been moved. People can always go in and remove any comments after moving (though I don’t see why anyone would…), people won’t instantaneously discover us.

It was discussed a little bit here:

It doesn’t really hurt to wait 7 days, so I can’t see the harm. It takes a day for posts to disappear properly and not everyone visits the forums every day (?!), so it seems fair to give people a chance to delete them in advance.

2 Likes

Well, if the other option was to not move at all then I’m happy with this option. Having them all together is a longed for pleasure! I love the new section! Finding all the reading threads, new and old, in a collected place makes it so much easier to keep track of =)

I also hope the fact that it can be seen attracts new users! =D

2 Likes

I am also excited that there is a Reading section now :grin: just the part of me that likes tidiness and organisation is thrilled, not even considering the actual material advantages…

In a couple of weeks you won’t even remember that you had to wait :wink:

3 Likes

Why was only the 1st volume thread moved? :thinking:

Likely because it was part of the beginner bookclub, before Yotsuba splintered off.

I guess people might be ashamed of naive questions they asked or poorly prepared responses, but, like, that’s part of the process of learning a language. There’s stuff I’d want to go back and admonish myself for, but nothing I’d see fit to remove or edit, and nothing that wasn’t corrected by someone more knowledgeable within a post or two.

Exactly. But it is a nice gesture though, I’ll gladly wait 7 days as long as it gets moved =)
I can be the one to do it too unless someone has been tasked with it =^_^=

2 Likes

Also, how is a reading club not “share your thoughts and opinions”, mostly about the book, obviously.

But, it’s a place to hang out, and everything related to the book, or things that happen in the book, are up for discussion.

Like, what do you think of the zoo?
Do you like 花火?
What about flowers, does anyone know if they’re supposed to be stored at a certain temperature?
Oh, yeah. I worked at a flower shop, and we had this fridges for some flowers.
祭りは行ったことがある?

Of course this is a public place, technically. But I would like to think that we’re more than strangers, so everything discussed here is supposed to be in context. Nothing too extreme, but either way.

If someone thinks that they don’t want what they said to be out there, it’s their right.

/rant

2 Likes

いいえ、他の人は怖い。
よつばと!を読んで下さい。

2 Likes

:thinking: I don’t think I understand what you mean by the last part.

Nah, I got it; I just felt compelled to respond with that for some reason. Misread the line above. Derp.

I couldn’t recall how to express “instead” for the second line, though. (Easy to read, hard to produce)

代わりに, perhaps.

1 Like

Yeah, but it just doesn’t feel right…

Like, 代わりに、よつばと!を読んで下さい。seems incomplete: よつばと! isn’t replacing anything directly, it’s an alternative thing to do. It could be that I need to turn the act of reading it into a noun, as you did with 行ったこと.

Also, I completely misread your sentence above: “I” became “you” and “what you mean” became “what I meant” when parsing. Sorry about that.

I’d think it’s replacing going out (which is implied when you say people are scary).

1 Like

This whole discussion is taking place in the wrong thread.
This is the vol.3 discussion thread.
Surely this discussion should be happening in the Yotsuba Reading Club main thread, which you can find here.

1 Like

Page 162

なんだこの小さなナマイキ物体はー

A few questions here, if anyone has the time and inclination to help! But the gist is clear, so no worries if not! Thank you!

なんだ - this is “what”, but I don’t quite get why there is a だ at the end. Doesn’t だ go at the end of the sentence, or is this another inversion due to casual usage?
この - this
小さな - small. But why the な? I thought 小さい was an い-adjective?
ナマイキ - this must be 生意気, なまいき, cheeky! Lovely word!
物体 - ぶったい, body
はー - “as for”

“As for this cheeky little body, what is it?”

1 Like