よつばと! Vol 2 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

~たら can also imply a temporal connection - i.e. “after”. とる has so many meanings I’m honestly sure which one is happening here, but the sense I’m getting is “Since I subscribed to the newspaper, they gave me these.”

1 Like

Ohhh I didn’t know that, thanks!

On page 119, Fuuka says ”流れるプールが大好きでねー”, what’s with the で here?

3 Likes

Looks like でね is the continuative form of だ + ね :thinking:

I found this response on stackexchange:

So something along the lines of the speaker being excited about what they’re saying, and instead of continuing with their statement, they excitedly affirm what they just said with ね

sorry for all the edits, I keep getting distracted :3

6 Likes

Okay I’m almost done with this volume! On page 178, Fuuka says ”予約だってすごいね” what’s the meaning of the だって here? And what does the full thing mean? There are so many meanings of だって, I can never figure out how they’re actually using it.

Also, what the heck is going on on page 187 with their mom? She says ”あけときなさい”. From the vocab list I gather this is 開ける + おきなさい, but what exactly does this mean, and why is it that instead of あけておきなさい? Is this just a shortening thing?

だって could just be だ and って separately. Like, she’s repeating 予約 from the previous panel, and then quoting. Like:
「予約だ」ってすごいね

I’m not sure on that, but it’s a possibility.

For あけときなさい, the answer is yes, it’s a shortening. ておく gets shorted to とく. If you’re not familiar in general, look up the ておく grammar point. I can’t figure who the line is being said to though, so I’m not sure exactly why the mom is saying it.

1 Like

I was thinking it was something to do with quotation since I was just looking over that, but I don’t really get how the すごい ties into it :thinking:

Oh as in doing something in advance? That does make sense. I guessed she was talking to all of them, but I don’t get why she’d be asking them to open something, unless there’s another usage or verb being used here, and the vocab list is listing the wrong one :man_shrugging:.

Thanks!

Yeah, it’s a quotation. “You set the timer? Wow”

1 Like

Ohh okay, that’s actually really simple - Thanks!

You guys might want to move this topic to the new #japanese-language:reading section.

2 Likes

@ to some frequent posters (19+ posts)

@marcusp @BobaGakusei @Belthazar @Kazzeon @seanblue @Rowena @Borx @fl0rm @Chellykins @jstrout @Borx

We’ll be moving this thread to the new reading section in 7 days.

The reading section will allow us to increase exposure of our reading club. However, since it will be publicly indexed by search engines (as opposed to private, the way Campfire threads are), if there’s anything you’d like to delete or edit out, now’s your chance.

6 Likes

(limit 10 @ mention per post)

@Leinna @Abstormal @GhoublaiKhan @Kumirei @MissMisc @MidnightOverlord @damienneil @Pluckabee

See above.

1 Like

(limit 10 @ mention per post)

@deadhippo @windupbird @Krystian @derudesu @Timelinker @Kyasurin

See above.

Is it still okay to post questions here?.. I’ll post anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Page 49:
Yotsuba is running out of Fuuka’s room after shooting her with a water gun yelling だしつ, or maybe that’s Fuuka. What is だしつ? Is it just a random, nonsensical exclamation?

Page 60:
First page, bottom right. Yotsuba and Ena are playing with dolls and Yotsuba says “なんのおもてましもしませんが…”. I can’t make any sense of it…

(sorry for sideways, I have no idea why this one is the only one)

Page 68:
Lastly, Yotsuba, Ena, and Miura have gone to buy cake. They’re deciding which shop to go to. Miura says “じゃ近いほうにしとこーよ”. What’s しとこ? It doesn’t seem to be in any dictionaries which leads me to believe that it’s some kind of slurring of speech.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Page 49

Please post a page number at the top of your posts, it makes things easier to search for.
No need for the photos, this is the Yotsuba Reading Club!

だしつ here is probably だっしゅつ - 脱出 - escape; break-out​

2 Likes

Page 60

That was covered in this thread in this post here, and at hi-native here, but the short answer is:

なんのおもてなしもしませんが = なんのおもてなしも出来ませんが, a phrase which means “I can’t give you any hospitality, but…” and is used when welcoming someone to your home.

3 Likes

Page 68

We had a good discussion on this point in this thread, which starts here.

To find these discussions in the thread, click on the search button in the top right, click the box that says “search this thread” and type the page number. If you can’t find what you need, then is the time to post here and please, please, please put a page number at the top of your posts.

3 Likes

Thank you! I edited my post to have the page numbers. I did try to search via hiragana but it didn’t yield any results. I’ll be sure to search via page number next time :slight_smile:

Thanks again~

1 Like

That’s great! And it’s brilliant fun to re-visit volume two, so thank you so much!

1 Like

page 127 :wink:
Yotsuba’s saying “よつばもーよつばもおちるー”
None of the Jisho definitions or the Sanseido monolingual definitions seem to make sense. I’m thinking it’s like “Yotsuba fall too”, so she’s asking to be pushed into the pool?

2 Likes