よつばと! Vol 2 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Also haven’t got the text on me, but I’m about 90% sure they’re talking about how Yotsuba used to live with her grandmother, not that their grandmother lived on Okinawa.

1 Like

Thank you @Belthazar

(And I made a mistake with the poll! You can’t see who voted for which chapter! Oh well, it’s been a funny old morning).

(You made two, actually - おみやげ is chapter 15, the first chapter in the next volume. Chapter 14 is rather sneakily named あさぎのおみやげ. :stuck_out_tongue:)

2 Likes

In volume 1, one of the sisters (Fuuka, I think) asked Yotsuba where her old home was (as they had just moved into the neighborhood). And Yotsuba replied “to the left!”

5 Likes

Oh well spotted! I’d have never seen that!

Though now you mention it, I seem to recall @Kazzeon pointing this out earlier in the thread, but it went way over my head! Nice one @Belthazar!

Oh yes! That’s right! I can’t remember where, but I do remember that! Thank you!

Edit: Vol. 1, page 79!
Fuuka: そういえばよつばちゃんてどっから引っ越してきたの?
Yotsuba: 。。。えーと。。。ひだりー

I read through your questions, but they’ve all been answered right? Just checking. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I think so! LOL! I lose track myself! Thank you so much Kazzeon!

1 Like

Ok, back home with my copy of Yotubato now, so here’s a more detailed answer. The last panel is essentially a tangent from the conversation that starts at the top of the page, so I’ma start translating from there.

Page 187-189

Mother: Oh yeah, we’re going to grandma’s for Obon. Remember?
Fuuka: (Cushion…)
Mother: Make sure you keep that time open.
Asagi: Sure, sure. Three days, right?
Fuuka: I wish grandma lived in Okinawa instead of the countryside. [Literally, “it’d be better if…”]
Fuuka: -Thud-
Ena: Ah, Yotsuba-chan
Ena: Before Yotsuba-chan came here, she lived with her grandma, right? She told me she lived on an island before that.
Mother: Oh?

[next page]

Mother: That kid’s so energetic it feels like she’s an island kid.
Asagi: Which island, though? A foreign one?
Ena: “To the left”, she said.
Asagi: (What’s with that?)
Mother: An island to the left, huh?
-Beat-
Mother: Hawaii, maybe?
Asagi: Why?
Fuuka: Yeah. [As in, she’s agreeing with Asagi’s doubt. My brain isn’t coming up with a natural way to word that.]

[next page]

Fuuka: Hawaii is to the right.
Asagi: Uh…

Hope that helps some. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

More than some! That’s unbelievable! Thank you so much @Belthazar! Much appreciated! Thank you!

I have a question! Actually two! If anyone is willing to get volume 2 back out!

On page 56, Jumbo says ”復讐は何も生まねーよなー?”. What’s going on here? “Did revenge produce nothing?”? I guess it’s meant to mean “So you didn’t get revenge?” or something, but I don’t get the sentence.

Also on page 65, みうら says ”わざわざ買ってもらわなくても”. I’m interpreting this as “I don’t particularly want to buy you cake” based on the context, but I can’t make sense of the ても at the end. I know it can be used to mean “even if”, but I feel like I’m missing something grammatically.

Thanks!

1 Like

Oh, I thought I’d asked that first question too. (EDIT: I did. Starts from here.)
“Revenge doesn’t produce anything, you know?” is the general meaning that I decided on.

復讐は何も生まねーよ (revenge doesn’t produce anything)
なー? (a little weird to have a question mark, but it’s Jumbo’s way of saying “see?” or “you know?”, or “you understand?”)

As for the 2nd, I’m pretty sure it’s a shortening of 買ってもらわなくてもいいです
“Not to buy (cake; context) for me is also (okay; omitted)”

4 Likes

Thanks!

My bad, I completely missed that!

Ah, I guess he just worded it in a strange way.

That makes a lot of sense. I can never tell whether it’s something omitted or it’s some grammar usage I don’t know about, thanks!

No problem! Glad I could help. When you catch up, please join us in Volume 3. :slight_smile:

By the way, BunPro has been great. Before I started Volume 2, I was very iffy on all these grammar points, but after having officially studied them, I feel much more comfortable. (Looks like you’re using BunPro too; let’s keep it up!)

1 Like

Wait, what? Is there a Volume 3 discussion that somehow I’ve missed?!

2 Likes

Yes, they started about a week ago!

Edit: Make about 2 weeks ago!

2 Likes

Okay on page 75, よつば says ”あんましだな”. I know what everything means here and I know this was even asked about before (around reply 315), but I don’t understand the translation. She’s saying “It’s not very.”. Not very what? Not very cake like? There seems to be an adjective implied here that I’m just missing.

2 Likes

Aye, @marcusp raised this very same question back in January: よつばと! Vol 2 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club) - #323 by _Marcus

Basically, it’s “It’s not very… y’know. It looks like mud”. Like she paused to think of how to say “it doesn’t look very tasty” and decided to rephrase in mid-thought, or something.

4 Likes

Oh right that clears it up, I completely missed your reply when I saw that, thanks!

1 Like

Another question! On page 112, Yotsuba’s dad says ”新聞とったらこんなのもらった”. I can’t make sense of this.

新聞 - Newspaper
とる - To take
~たら - If
こんな - This kind of
の - Possessive marker / “one”
もらう - To receive

It seems like he’s saying “If I took these from the newspaper, I received this kind of thing”, which makes little sense. Can anyone offer a different interpretation?