よつばと! Vol 2 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Chapter 11 huh?
It really felt short.
Didn’t find anything to add. :joy: Good job, everyone!

1 Like
本当(ほんとう)にバターでマジックを消(け)せますか?

Can the magic marker really be erased with butter?

顔(かお)に何(なに)かを書(か)かれたことがありますか?

Have you ever had something written on your face?

もし「どんまい」と言(い)ったら、どうしますか?

If (I) were to say “Don’t mind”, what would (you) do?

(I’m still practicing grammar, so let me know if I need to fix the questions.)

1 Like

マジック*の消す方が分かりませんが、信じますよ。:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

はーい。:unamused: 俺の友達の友達は子供っぽいし、俺がよっぱらいになって寝ましたとき、彼らは俺の顔に愚(おろ)かなことを書いた。

笑うだろう。

The questions seem fine to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

これはいい質問(しつもん)ですね!
私は知りまえんが、習うほしです!
Edit: 私は知りませんが、習うほしいです!(Thank you @Kazzeon and @BobaGakusei)

2 Likes

習うほしですね?

2 Likes

@Kazzeon: Thanks. :slight_smile:

大変(たいへん)でしたね。復讐(ふくしゅう)したらはどうですか? :wink:

@marcusp: しりまん and ほし
がんばって!

1 Like

すみませんが、分かりません .-.
What? xD

So why does ひとつ become ひと? Is it just a casual shortening? Is it a sort of anti-rendaku?

Oops. Here’s what I wanted to say: “That was terrible, wasn’t it? How about getting/doing revenge?”

Ah! Didn’t read the kanji (because I was lazy and it’s too small) and didn’t understand how a review fit into all this. :sweat_smile: ごめん~

最悪のことは、知らない人だった!失礼な… :rage:
俺はそのレベルに自分を下げません :face_with_monocle:

Oops. On page 91, I read じぶん as たぶん, as in “Don’t worry, but maybe you should wipe it up”. Thanks @BobaGakusei!

@Kazzeon: No problem. Tiny kanji is something I have to get used to as well. It’s so easy to misread. Hiragana too!

Kazzeon-さんはいい人ですね。復讐(ふくしゅう)が要(い)りませんね。

@Chellykins: You’re welcome.

I don’t know if this is correct, but the shortening of ひと仕事 could be a casual way of counting.
Normally the つ of 一つ is a “things counter”, so maybe Koiwai was just using 仕事 as a “work/jobs counter”. “One job” would then be 一仕事, and read as ひと仕事.

2 Likes

Sorry to keep on with this, but wouldn’t it be いち then? As in 一本、一匹、一枚。。。

Yeah, I don’t know either. =/ All I can say is that numbers and counting are way too hard in Japanese.
いち could be valid, or even いっ (e.g., 一回).

1 Like

They might be using the hiragana just because it’s manga?

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that it should be 一つ; I was just reminding marcusp that ひと didn’t just mean person, that it was also a reading for 一, which fits with the phrase seanblue provided the jisho link to.

2 Likes

Oh sorry, I missed that! Thank you!

1 Like

Discussion of Chapter 12 starts here.

Ah, chapter 12. This chapter is the reason that @fl0rm’s comment from back just before we started chapter 11 confused me a great deal. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jumbo absolutely has ulterior motives.

Not entirely sure where he gets off inviting people to Water World on Koiwai’s tickets, then changing the location at the last second.

Still, wonder if this is what the newspaper man wanted last chapter.

4 Likes

I agree; it’s funny in retrospect. :slight_smile:

I think there were hints that Jumbo might be like this with the sisters in Volume 1, and this chapter gave him the chance to show it. I can understand switching to the pool because they didn’t have enough tickets for Water World (4 tickets for 5 people), but I was surprised by the lack of complaint from everyone but Fuuka. (Koiwai lets him get away with it, so he’s at fault too.)

It’s interesting to think about how the chapters tie together. Now that you mention it, the newspaper person probably was trying to give them the Water World tickets. It looks like Asagi wasn’t present for the Don’t Mind (11) and Pool (12) chapters. Perhaps she was discussing her vacation plans in the Revenge (9) chapter.

1 Like