よつばと! Vol 2 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Interestingly the YenPress translates Yotsuba’s rambling as trying to say “hybernate”, but gives up and say “sleep” instead.

“Yotsuba will let daddy hinerba…” “…hibanate…hi…” “…hiberaber…” …SLEEP!!"

Not sure if the original carries anything to do with hibernate though. But I did find that part of the translation quite amusing so thought I’d share =P

1 Like

It doesn’t. It’s just incredibly hard to translate a joke like that, so they had to get creative.

ADV has gone for “relaxation”.

“Leave it to me! I’ll let you get some rest and relaxa… um…” “relaxima…” “relaxamation? rela…” “SLEEP!”

2 Likes

I like it! I think they both made a good workable version of it, both are quite funny =^_^=

At first, I had to think really carefully about not calling out ごちそうさまでした instead of おつかれさまでした.

1 Like

LOL! Brilliant!
(But oh no, now that’s in my head, watch me do it tomorrow! LOL!)

1 Like

Page 93

Just to check.
Yotsuba says ジュラルミンかこー
As far as I understand:
ジュラルミン - her mistaken name for Ena’s bear
Then かこー is:
The verb “to draw” 書くin volitional form which is made by changing the final /u/ sound to an /o/ sound and adding う, ie かこう
But Yotsuba drops the う and replaces it with a ー
“let’s draw Jurarimin”
Am I correct?

(Couldn’t have done this without this link)

Yep.

Remember the ー is the katakana extended-vowel symbol, so こー = こう. It’s kinda… indicating she speaks with a child’s proficiency. Sort of thing.

1 Like

Thank you!

Page 94

新聞なんだけど

It’s pretty clear from context what is going on here.
The newspaper guy has come round and is telling Yotsuba who he is.
But could someone please break down the grammar for me here?

Maggie Sensei says you can end a sentence with けど to make it sound softer:

A: マギー、電話!
Maggie, telephone!
Maggie: はい、マギーですけど。どちら様ですか?
Hello I am Maggie. May I ask who’s calling?

But what is the function of なんだ (which I assume is 何だ, and could also be said as なんです) here?
Is he saying “newspaper is what [I am], but…”?

It’s actually the shortened version of the explanatory 「のです」— it often gets shortened to 「んです」or 「んだ」, especially in spoken conversation

You add the な there when attaching it to nouns to give that explanatory tone, so that’s why it’s 「なんだ」here, and the けど softens it as you mentioned

So overall the meaning is: “It’s the newspaper” (with an explanatory tone, presumably giving the implication he’s the newspaper guy based on the context you gave)

4 Likes

As @MissMisc says, the sentence isn’t using 何; instead, it’s an explanatory んです or んだ here, and な follows nouns that get this ん ending.

Service people in Japan tend to act deferentially too.

My take on 新聞なんだけど was:
“(It’s the) newspaper.” with the following contextual nuance

• [(な)ん] Explaining why I rang the doorbell. I’m delivering/selling a newspaper.
  • [けど] Sorry for troubling you. I need you to do something (e.g., take/buy it from me).
5 Likes

Thank you so much @MissMisc and @BobaGakusei
Got it! Super clear! Thank you both so much!
(Next time our newspaper chap comes round, I’ll have to actually listen to what he says instead of just diving back indoors to get his money!)
Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Page 105:

Fuuka says 何に書いたの?

The context would give us the translation “what did you draw on?” but without the context this would just be “what did you draw?” wouldn’t it? Which of course adds another joke.

Short chapter this week, isn’t it? But another good one!

1 Like

Grammar dictionary:

の (particle)
A sentence-final particle used by a female speaker or a child to indicate an explanation or emotive emphasis.
Related: んです

Example:
どうして泣いている? (Why are you crying?)
お母さんがいない ('Cause mummy’s gone.)

The chapter is about the same length as the ones on either side - it’s just got fewer frames, and fewer speech bubbles.

1 Like

In the cold light of morning, I’ve realised I completely misread your post. I’m glad you liked my post anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No, that would be 何書いたの.

I’m saying this based only on what you wrote since I don’t have the manga in front of me to get context.

2 Likes

Yeah, the reason is the choice of particle に vs を.

に usually related to positioning, so I interpreted 何に as “on what” (did you draw).
を would be a direct object. 何を would be “what” (did you draw).

2 Likes

@seanblue @BobaGakusei
I see! Thank you so much! Amazing the difference a particle makes!

In the second or third book of Japanese From Zero, there was a section showing a dozen or so versions of the same sentence with different particles. It really does make a huge difference!

2 Likes