~ませんか vs ~ましょうか vs ください

What I am trying to find in this case is
ませんか vs. ましょうか vs. ください
What is the difference?

I wish general grammar thread is resurrected. Creating too many grammar topics by myself is embarrassing, even for a noob in Grammar.

1 Like

I don’t know where the imabi article you want is, but this is pretty straightforward and you can demonstrate it with one half of a mock conversation.

私と行きませんか。 (an invitation, the plans of the other person aren’t known, literally “Won’t you go with me?”)

they accept the offer

あそこに行きましょうか。(now that you’re on the same page, it’s a suggestion of an option, literally “Shall we go over there?”)

you chat about the details

また連絡してください。(a polite request, literally “Please contact me again”)

I think there’s more to be said about each of those grammar points individually, but that’s the treetops of how they relate to each other.

4 Likes

In short, invitation vs. option vs. begging

I would say invitation, suggestion, request, but yeah.

ませんか can also be a polite request, in a different context. But it’s more polite and the person isn’t going to feel any obligation to do it. Because it’s more indirect.

1 Like

Japanese For Busy People, Volume 1

1 Like

Actually my question comes from a grammar book already, but the explanation wasn’t clear enough. Lack of clarity becomes clear as I go through the exercises. So, as I go through the grammar book, there will be a lot more questions? Hence, the warning in the 2nd paragraph in the OP.

Which grammar book are you using?

新完全マスター
I know there isn’t that much explanation, but it says almost the same as wunderbunny.

Just want to throw out there that ~ましょうか can mean “shall we~?” or “shall I~?” It can actually be a little ambiguous as to whether you are implying that you and your counterpart will do what you are suggesting, or if you are suggesting to do it alone. I’ve had teachers at my school joke with me about how this has sometimes left projects undone because both people thought the other person was going to do it.

Anyway, it’s either a suggestion to do something as a group (行きましょうか?Shall we go?), or a polite offering of your own services (手伝えましょうか?Shall I help you?)

1 Like

Sorry, I totally posted without reading your post. Lol.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.