のんのんびより Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

BTW, thanks for pointing out the links to Ebook Japan and Book Walker. Was looking for a non-Amazon source of Japanese ebooks. I’d tend to opt for Book Walker, except that Ebook Japan has Ryoko Ikeda’s books, including Rose of Versailles and Rose of Versailles Kids. :smiley:

Will check this all out tonight, but I think I’ll need to clear some space on my iPad soon!

@seanblue, when will the chapter thread be up? :grinning:

Will be up shortly.

@Kyasurin Here you go: のんのんびより: Chapter 1 Discussion

1 Like

Chapters 2 and 3 are here.

2 Likes

Sorry if this is dragging out a conversation which came to a close, but wanted to check in to say that, at the end of our first week reading two chapters, I’m finding the prospect of reading another two chapters next week a little daunting :sweat_smile:

It feels like it ought to be a similar reading load to Aria, but somehow having to fit in more reading ‘sessions’, even if they’re each a bit shorter, makes it take up more time. The actual language is also harder for me, so the same amount of text does just take longer (despite having more experience now).

Anyway, this wasn’t meant to be a request for change, but just feedback on how I’m personally finding it so far, as it’s a first for the book club. Maybe next week I’ll be more on it anyway.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I think maybe I’ll run a poll at the end of the book and see how people liked it overall. Hopefully some people who dropped out will still be around to vote.

I also feel a bit overwhelmed by reading two chapters a week. But for me it’s hard to tell how much of that has to do with the difficulty, me being busier in real life, or the actual fact that we’re reading two chapters a week.

By the way, next week’s chapters are longer, so good luck to all of us. :+1:

4 Likes

D:

one of them has bunnies in though, so at least there’s that…

2 Likes

That one was quite funny too :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, there’s definitely a difficulty aspect. They’re shorter than Aria, sure, but also much denser. Non Non Biyori chapter 3 averages 8.33 non-trivial speech bubbles per page, while Aria chapter 3 averages just 2.45

2 Likes

ご注文はうさぎですか always has bunnies. :wink:

Good to know. Unfortunately it’ll be hard to figure out ahead of time how dense the chapters will be (and it could vary chapter to chapter). Maybe that means we should just (pretty much) always do one chapter a week. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

My feeling at the moment is that one chapter a week as default would be the safest bet, unless something looked obviously suuuuuper easy. Even if we end up finding something a little light, that’s not particularly terrible and would just make that pick a better option for newer members.

I’m already experiencing apprehension over tackling those 50 pages of Natsume in one week :scream:

5 Likes

Chapter 4 and 5 are here.

Chapters 8 and 9 are here a day early!

1 Like

Whoa. You’re upending everything. Cats and dogs sleeping together.

1 Like

:cat2: :dog2: :cat2: :dog2: :cat2:

Better get reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m going away for three weeks starting Monday evening, and not planning to take my books with me, so yeah, I’d better get reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Leaving forever. :sleepy:

@Pamput expressed interest in continuing with volume 2 of Non Non Biyori, so I wanted to gauge interest. How do you feel about continuing?

• I’d be happy to continue right away (within a couple months)
  • I’d be happy to continue, but not for a while
  • I have no interest in continuing

0 voters

If you are interested in continuing at some point, do you participate much?

• Yes, I regularly ask for help
  • Yes, I regularly help others
  • Yes, I regularly discuss the content
  • No, I don’t really need help and don’t help others
  • No, I mostly lurk

0 voters

I’m feeling bad for mostly lurking recently :frowning: didn’t have much time because of real life :frowning:

2 Likes

I sometimes discuss the content and ask for help. Maybe not “regularly”. I’ve been falling behind a bit.
Also I prefer Aria.

2 Likes