のんのんびより Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Nice, I got the first two volumes of のんのんびより as well!

2 Likes

3 Likes

I already ordered the epub version as the shipping to my conutry will take until mid september. Not sure if my level is high enough but it seems fun.

3 Likes

When you realize it’s almost time to start reading のんのんびより:

8 Likes

This starts the same day as my N4 class, so I’m doubly excited! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello! I have just ordered this book and plan to join you all.

4 Likes

I have been united with my copy at last!

It’s interesting how the art style seems quite different from the anime to me :thinking:

I wonder whether, when doing two chapters per week, it would be worth only releasing the second on the sunday or something, to try to kind of stagger the discussion a bit. I guess that might just be more annoying / confusing than it’s worth.

I’m going to create them at the same time, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the discussion becomes staggered anyway. Personally, each week I plan to read the first chapter over the weekend and the second chapter during the week. I don’t care to read a chapter of Aria and two of Non Non Biyori all over the weekend.

4 Likes

My issues of Non Non Biyori turned up in the post today (I bought a set of volumes 1-6), so I’m glad they arrived before the weekend.

2 Likes

So, should we have Chapter 1 read by Saturday, or is that when everyone’s gonna crack it open and start?

We start on Saturday. Many people start reading right away, but you don’t have to, and you definitely don’t have to start before then.

Just started to learn japeneese(1 mounth ago) How long does it takes to get to level of “Reading Japaneese Books”

It’ll obviously be different depending on your aptitude and how much time you put in. I’d say that if you really throw yourself into your studies, you should be able to start struggling through simple manga after around six months. Much less than that, and you won’t really be reading the books, you’ll just be looking nearly everything up wholesale.

After 6 months… Well, you’ll still be looking a lot up. But you’ll start to be able to actually read and process some of the native material, too.

Children’s books are another story, and you might be able to begin graded readers much earlier. I haven’t actually tried, so you might want a second opinion on those.

2 Likes

Not sure how active I’ll be on here, but I picked up a copy at the local Book Off. Thanks in advance for the vocabulary document, seanblue!

2 Likes

Here is the new vocab sheet link (also in first post). Let me know if you run into any issues.

oh man, this looks like so much fun. Its a bit early in the process for me I think. But this will be a nice topic to go back to once I start understanding more.
I wanted to order it as an e-book. But I had some trouble navigating the pages you linked, so yeah. Definitely a bit early for me.

1 Like

It may still be tough if it’s early, but using an extension like yomichan can help you navigate websites like that when you have trouble.

1 Like

Alternately try this:

When I was buying this book off of BookWalker google auto-translated the page. It ended up translating it in such a way that this whole thing sounded rather sinister. Between that and what happened in the last manga series I read about a group of kids who live in a remote village where there is only one class for all the different grades, I am very concerned about these girls.

2 Likes

Another way to understand the gist of webpages in Japanese (at least until you can read a bit more) is to use Chrome and its Google Translate feature. Obviously, its translations are all over the place, but at least you’ll know that this button on the page = buy, etc.