のんのんびより Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

Welcome to のんのんびより!

のんのんびより Volume 1

Where To Buy

Amazon JP
Book Walker (ebook)
eBook Japan (ebook)

Discussion Threads

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
ユメのユメ
おまけ

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter(s) Pages
1 September 1st Chapter 1 17 pages
2 September 8th Chapters 2-3 27 pages
3 September 15th Chapters 4-5 37 pages
4 September 22nd Chapters 6-7 37 pages
5 September 29th Chapters 8-9 39 pages
6 October 6th Bonus Chapters 14 pages

* Bonus chapters are ユメのユメ (following different characters) and the おまけ.

Vocabulary List

Please follow the following guidelines when adding vocabulary to the list. This will help ensure that everyone adds vocab in a consistent way, which will make it easier to use.

Vocabulary List Guidelines
  • General:
    • Make sure to use unformatted text by double clicking into a cell before pasting.
    • Try not to include the same word (with the same meaning) more than once for the same chapter.
  • Vocab (Kanji) column:
    • Use the kanji that are actually used in the manga. This also means leaving this column blank if the word is written in kana.
    • Use the dictionary form for adjectives and verbs, not the conjugated forms.
      • For example, if the word in the manga is 分かりました, you should add it as 分かる.
  • Vocab (Hiragana) column:
    • Use the hiragana that are actually used in the manga, UNLESS it is a made up katakana word for the series. In that case, use the most common real reading, and mention the made up reading in the Notes column.
      • For example (from Aria), in the manga, 地球 is given the reading マンホーム, but it should still be entered as ちきゅう (with マンホーム in the Notes column).
    • Use the dictionary form for adjectives and verbs, not the conjugated forms.
      • For example, if the word in the manga is 分かりました, you should add it as 分かる.
  • English Translation column:
    • If you are not (reasonably) sure which translation is being used in the given context, don’t add the word to the spreadsheet. Adding it without knowing which meaning is correct could cause confusion.
    • To keep the spreadsheet simple, use the definitions from jisho.org or a similar J->E dictionary.
    • If more than one of the definitions could be correct, separate them by a ・ (written using / in the IME).
      • For example, for 書く you would put to write; to compose; to pen​・to draw; to paint if you feel like either is a likely interpretation for the given context.
    • If the definition goes past the end of the column, try to remove alternate spellings first (e.g. “color” and “colour”) and then try to remove words with similar English meanings.
  • Notes column:
    • Use this column to add additional information that could be helpful, like if the word in the manga is a colloquial form of the official word.

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Mark your participation status here

15 Likes

Yaaaaay. I’m officially excited for this.

Omg the book club is reading this?! I love the anime, I have be part of this! Ordering a copy right away!

7 Likes

Good to have you join us!

I‘m here, too. The manga should get delivered next week

Amazon doesn’t want to ship me the sets

Assuming you don’t live in Japan, you can probably only order things shipped and sold by Amazon.co.jp. That how it is for my orders to the United States at least.

If you like ebooks at all, they are half off until tomorrow. I just ordered the first two volumes new from Amazon.co.jp.

Yeah, I know. The ones which are fulfilled by Amazon usually also work, but they didn’t this time. I don’t have an e-reader so I don’t really read e-books. I like physical copies

Oh hey, this is perfect. I’m just starting to stumble my way through some manga as reading practice.

1 Like

Thanks seanblue!

I’m getting really excited - I keep trying to read the free ebook but dang, I just cannot make out the furigana, and the zoom doesn’t work properly for me.

@kumirei I think I found a copy from the US, in the end?

I got the 1-12 set for 6900 yen

5 Likes

I was curious how different it would be reading between the two. The physical book is so much easier to read! I don’t think I’ll ever purchase digital manga.

3 Likes

I compared it yesterday and the physical copy really was so much better!

1 Like

So it looks like I’ll be the only masochist reading the electronic copy… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Which, for the benefit of anyone considering it, I am reading on an ipad using the Bookwalker app, and it has been easier to read that way than I expected.

1 Like

I have vol 1 to 6 in the mail from Hokkaido…

checks mailbox nervously

Nope. Hasn’t arrived yet.

It’s almost like the group is already preparing to read more than one volume. :joy:

1 Like

I only bought the one volume. Mostly because I can’t really continue every book club series in perpetuity, or I’d be doing nothing but reading books all week.

Not that that’s a bad thing, it’s just I need to eat sometime. And sleep. And go to work…

8 Likes

I just joined wk yesterday and finished the のんのんびよりanime this morning, and now I am coming across this book club, how exciting! Can’t wait for it to start!

9 Likes

Nice timing! Welcome to the book club :blush:

Are you planning to read this book with the group?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • No

0 voters

1 Like