のんのんびより Home Thread

のんのんびより Chapter 3

のんのんびより Volume 1

Start Date: September 8th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 2
Next Chapter: Chapter 4

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

Oof. Chapter 3 is proving far more tricky than chapter 2. I’ve been working on the vocab sheet for an hour, and I’m still only six pages in. Solid chunks of exposition, complete with run-on sentences, in である form. And boy does the writing often get quite teensy.

Think I’ve understood it with much detailed analysis and reassembly, but I’m still not clear on the box in the lower-right panel of page 30. Specifically, I can’t quite pin down precisely which definitions of 想い and 接する are in play here.

Gonna have to do the next six pages later.

1 Like

想い probably means “feeling”.

接する I’m less sure on. One of the definitions in jisho is “to touch; to come in contact with; to border on; to adjoin; to be adjacent; to be close​”. If this can apply to non-physical things as well, it could work here.

So:
そんな小鞠を蛍は可愛い先輩だという想いで接していた
That kind of Komari, to Hotaru, was bordering on the feeling of “cute senpai”

Or something like that. As I said, not too sure on that. But maybe it’s on the right track.

接する also means “to interact”

Def 3 here: 接する(せっする)の意味 - goo国語辞書

How would that translate in this usage? Because I’m not really seeing how it fits.

She was interacting with her with the feeling (/while considering) that she was a cute senpai.
(I.e. that feeling is present whenever she interact with komari; the example sentence was “interacting with people with a smile”)

Edit: nevermind, since that sentence is in the past tense, that makes no sense. I guess you’re interpretation is the correct one.

Edit2: Asked a native, and actually interact is the correct interpretation here.

1 Like

Other characters aren’t aware of that, which is why they don’t understand some of hotaru’s actions when they involve komari.

Thanks, makes perfect sense!

My eyes are bleeding from trying to read some of the furigana.

4 Likes

I find that both @seanblue’s & @Naphthalene’s translations are plausible. (I know, it doesn’t really help, right?)
I guess the gist is that at some point Hotaru’s feelings go from just thinking Komari to be cute (because she’s so small) to having more of a crush on her. Is that right?

Also, what is チョップー?

1 Like

Chop like karate chop :laughing:

I don’t have it right in front of me, but it was something like a “calm down chop” which you can see illustrated in that panel

4 Likes

You motivated me to ask a native about it, and “interact” is the correct interpretation.

I mean, I guess? It seems pretty platonic to me (as it should be, considering their age), but Hotaru is definitely getting the pink-colored shades when she thinks about her.

2 Likes

Perhaps the right term is friend crush? :thinking:

2 Likes

Hotaru is also like 10 years old. I’d definitely go with “friend crush” or perhaps “unhealthy obsession” haha. And by the way, you haven’t seen anything yet when it comes to Hotaru’s obsession with Komari.

1 Like

refrains hard from giving spoilers about the chapter before last
may be remembering chapter order wrong

2 Likes

I can’t tell if having two chapters in a week is succeeding in spreading out the conversation… Or if it’s failing because people are too busy to read a second chapter.

I haven’t read yet…

2 Likes

It seems a lot more people have put up their hand to say they’re reading along than posting in the discussion thread for some reason(s). :man_shrugging:

I always mark myself as reading along when I create the thread(s), even if I won’t read the chapter until later in the week. Maybe some other people are doing that as well.

People read along without posting all the time though, so that’s not unusual. I wish more people would actively participate, but there will always be people who just like to lurk.

1 Like

F6FAE3D2-5BDB-4541-8DF1-ABE68305EA88

8 Likes

I think two chapters a week is fine, since the chapters are short and all.
Also, compared to よつばと! Vol. 5, I’d say around 50 replies per chapter is pretty good. :stuck_out_tongue:
Probably because のんのんびより is harder and also has more people reading. :joy: