にゃんにゃん - Kitty Detectives - Vol. 1

Page 112

(I’m also still here in the dark… mwahahaha)

すると どうだ。

Therefore, it was like that.

金庫のとびらが あけられ、[…]

I can guess here that あけられ is 開けられ, but I don’t get the form of the verb… It looks like a “passive stem” or I wouldn’t know how to call it.

開ける = to open
開けられる = to be open
開けられ = opened?

Or is it like a て form with a missing て?

2 Likes

It’s the masu-stem of the passive. The masu-stem can be used like the te-form to express “and”.
I think the reason the masu-stem is used here (rather than the te-form) is because the subjects of both parts are different.

BTW, that’s why the masu-stem is often called the conjunctive or continuative form.

Also see my previous post on this topic:

2 Likes

Page 113

Thank you everyone for the wonderful discussions!

I was very happy to find the next couple of pages a lot easier! And I thought this sentence was interesting:

いま、にげるところ だったのに。

いま、 - 今, now
にげる - 逃げる, to escape; to run away
ところ - about to; on the verge of​.
(meaning 10 on Jisho, where it says “usually written using kana alone, after present form of a verb”)
だった - past of だ copula
のに - although; despite; even though

“Although right now I was just about to make my escape!”

3 Likes

Some gramar notes:

ところ can also be read as a noun “time” here, which has a relative clause にげる attached to it.

literally
“Although it is now the time where I escape!”

6 Likes

Wow, that’s great! Thank you!

Slightly off topic

Google docs vocab list - tech help request

Can anyone help me understand why the vocab list is not the most up-to-date version when I access it via my tablet?

I added vocab via my PC yesterday for p. 114, but when I use my tablet to look at the list none of those entries are there.

To go between reading the book and looking at my monitor I have to take my glasses on and off (yeah, I probably need to get bifocals🤓), so it would be so much better if I could view the list via the tablet on the desk top beside my book.

1 Like

Hmm, I can see in my laptop that it is updated up to page 114. But if you cannot see it from your tablet, probably that’s not your fault but google’s… What if you try to access the spreadsheet from a different browser or from a “private navigation” tab?

1 Like
off topic

I’ll try that, thanks.

Edit: I opened WK in Bing instead of Chrome and I can see it all now. Thanks very much!

2 Likes

I’m on holiday this week, and completely off-line, and won’t be back till Friday.
I’ve updated the thread title, jumping ahead to page 125.
All the best to everyone here and see you later in the week!

2 Likes

すげええ!また金曜日!

1 Like

Page 114

Hi. This is my first posting. Not sure if I have understood the sentences correctly.

おあいにくさま(that’s too bad)、あなた(you)が(particle)怪盗(mysterious thief)ミミッチーマウス(mimichi mouse) なの(used by female to ask question)?

•That’s too bad, are you the mysterious thief Mimichi Mouse?

よくも(how dare) あたし(Me)を だまして(deceive)まきこんだ(get me involved)わね(used by female for emphasis of feelings)

•How dare you deceive me and get me involved?

ああ(ah)、どうして (how) わかったん(past tense - realized)だい(not sure what this is)?

•Ah, how did you realized that i am the mysterious thief?

5 Likes

The first two are fine.
In the last one the translation is fine in context.
To correct the breakdown:
ああ(ah)、どうして (how) わかった(past tense - realized)ん(explanatory の, often shortened to ん)だい(is it?, colloquial)?

We can translate the explanatory の as “that”.
So literally “How is it that you realised it?”

(I think Mimichi Mouse speaks some dialect but I’m not sure)

5 Likes

Page 114

まず(first of all)、あたし(me) は(particle) だれもいない(alone) 一本道(name of street)を(particle) 走っていた(te ita form-was traveling ‘by bicycle’)のに(while)、あなた(you) が(particle) ひょっこり(suddenly)でてきた(te ita Form-was appearing)の(nominalise verb)が (particle)おかし(unusual)わ(used by female for emphasis)

•First of all, while I was alone traveling by bicycle on Ippon street, your sudden appearance was a strange thing.

家のかげ(shadow of the house?)に(particle)かくれていて(te iru form-hiding)、女性(female)が(particle)ひとりで(alone)くる(come)の(nominalise verb)を(particle)まっていた(te ita Form-were waiting)んでしょ(I think)!

•I think you were hiding in the “shadow of the house”/“behind the house?”, waiting for a woman who is by herself.

おおあたりーbull’s eye

•that’s right

4 Likes

Thanks Aiju.

1 Like

Page 116

あの窓にかぎなんてかかっていなかったんだわ。
• Hmm… Does this mean that the window was not locked? I think on page 92, it was stated that the window was locked.

2 Likes

だれもいない(alone) lit. “[with] no one being [there]”

side note: を+movement verb = travelling “through” something
with a street in English maybe “along” captures that meaning, though I think “on” is fine here

でてきた(te ita Form-was appearing) it’s detekita, lit. “came out and came to me”, less silly English would be something like “came out and approached me”

lit. “it was strange that you suddenly came out and approached me”

家のかげ(shadow of the house?) Yes. Amusingly the exact same idiom exist in German as well. Maybe “shade” is a better word in English? Here the implication is an area invisible from her position, more likely around a (front) corner than strictly “behind”.

んでしょ lit. explanatory の + “it probably is”

3 Likes

Yes that would be my reading of it as well.

I don’t have the book to check, did she check herself that the window was locked? If he told her, he obviously would have lied.

1 Like

The picture on page 92 shows that she checked the window and said こっちもかぎがかかってる。

ありがとうございました。

Yes, but on one page earlier he tells her to go check the other window. Later she is talking about the window he “checked”.

2 Likes