Page 28

Still on the same sentence…

この事件は犯人の目的が わからないので、けんとうも つかんよな.

Here’s what I’ve got:

この事件は - as for this case
犯人の目的が - the criminal’s purpose/goal
わからない - I don’t understand
の - explanation particle
で、- this is my question… what is this で here?
けんとうもつかん - 見当もつかない - I don’t have the foggiest idea (with the ない contracted to ん)
よな - two sentence ending particles

“In this case, I don’t understand the criminal’s purpose, I don’t have the foggiest idea!”

So, my question is, what is that で in the middle of the sentence? Any help much appreciated!

よろしくお願いします!

It’s ので = because. Etymologically, it’s the て-form of のだ.

3 Likes

I see! Thank you! Those dratted んs and のs get me every time! I never know what’s going on! Thank you @Belthazar!

So the translation would be “In this case, because I don’t understand the criminal’s purpose, I don’t have the foggiest idea!” Got it! Thank you again!

1 Like

Page 28

So ので is the て form of のだ.
Is ので also the て form of のです
And て form is connective, right,so this is connecting the copula with the meaning of “because” - or am I as wildly confused as ever?!

When you see ので, it’s often used as a construction that’s very similar in meaning to から (so it means “because” here)

edit: whoops I basically just duplicated Belthazar’s answer

1 Like

のだ is not a verb. It’s の + だ (copula).

Grammatically の in this context is an abstract noun that gets a relative clause hung onto it.
Kinda like “It’s the case that …” or “It’s that …”.

Turning the copula だ into its て-form changes the meaning into an absolute phrase like “X being the case, …”

The connection is between this phrase and the rest of the sentence.

The “because” is implied by the connection, just like it would be in English.

4 Likes

I’m beginning to see a glimmer of light…, thank you @Belthazar, @Cychloryn, and @aiju!

Yep, sorry, I’ll correct my posts :slight_smile:

How is なんと translated in this context at the beginning of the last sentence on p29?

1 Like

Page 29

Oh, yes, good question!

Page 29

And still in the same sentence, can anyone help with とどけられた?

I know:
とどける = 届ける = to deliver, to send
届けられる = passive form
届けられた = past passive form

So the phrase 届けられた うなぎが means “the eel that was delivered…”

What I don’t understand is how this works!! I know this is really basic grammar (and I apologise for my low level) but is it true then that you can modify a noun with a passive verb just by sticking the verb in front of it?

Can I say 食べられた うなぎ to mean “the eel that was eaten”? Can I say 炊かれた うなぎ to mean “the eel that was cooked”?

That’s amazing!

1 Like

You’re right! Being able to use any kind of verb in front of a noun to modify it is something I really like about Japanese.

食べられたうなぎ - the eel that was eaten
(私が)昨日食べたうなぎ - the eel I ate yesterday
母が作ったうなどん - the unadon my mom made

5 Likes

Amazing! Thank you so much! And thank you for the great example sentences!

Yes, relative clauses. Here’s some rules about how to use them here

2 Likes

From looking around the internet I think なんと used here is an interjection meaning something like “whoa”. Maybe a little more formal than なんて. The shop was crowded and Hanae heard there was a boom in unagi so she’s just giving her reaction. I think that’s what it means but not absolutely positive.

3 Likes

That’s brilliant. Thank you.

I just asked on Hi-native and someone said なんと here means “surprisingly”, which fits in with your idea too.

3 Likes

Ha, better to leave the resident sensei alone for awhile. Good move. Keep the peace!:grinning:

1 Like

Indeed! You are spot on there!

And this fabulous answer has just come in:

This expression has two meanings.

なんと、彼はピザを三枚食べたそうだ。
Surprisingly, he ate three pizzas.

In this case, なんと means surprisingly.

なんと暑い夏だ。
What a hot summer!

In this, なんと is used to emphasise the degree of the hotness.

5 Likes

Thanks for asking around.

Not at all. This thread is definitely the place to ask! The most likely place to get a good answer is here as everyone here is focused on this book and understands the context etc, and of course everyone here is interested in the answers! I use Hi-native as a back up only!

5 Likes