なぜ?どうして?Finished!

I’m already behind because I forgot yesterday was November 1st… Well I guess I’ll be reading pages 10 and 11 once I get home from work today!

From what I understood from this thread it means something like: ‘from the old days until now’

1 Like

Oh yeah,「から」means “from”. So just starting from the old days. Silly me, what a foolish mistake. Gotta edit my post then :smile:

By the way, regarding the ebook, I would only recommend to eat it on the browser. It’s the only way to actually differentiate the pages.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’m doing. It’s quite a shame. Maybe I should order a physical copy as this thread will be going on for quite some time.

The problem with that would be that the entire book would then be available via photos here in the forum, which would constitute breach of copyright.

From the WK forum rules

1 Like

Nice idea, but trying to reach an agreed translation is a recipe for endless conflict. Everyone will translate with slightly different perspectives and choices and that is fine. The great thing about this thread is how every helps each other in their reading and no one expects there to be the one, final, definitive right answer.

3 Likes

I’m no expert on international copyright, but I would assume that individual photographs of pages in this particular setting would be considered “fair use” according to US laws. Fair use = “the doctrine that brief excerpts of copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.”

In the end, I’m not too worried about it. I have both the ebook and the paperback.

It would not be “brief excerpts” if the entire book, one page at a time, ends up available in this thread.

3 Likes

Only the pages that are necessary for the current open discussion. They can be redacted at will, right?

Only by the person that posts them.

If you are willing to take on the responsibility of posting the photo of each new page-of-the-day and removing that photo 4 days later, then I think that would be very helpful for those with ebooks.

2 Likes

Believe me, this level of activity will fall off. I’ve been through 2 bookclubs here on WK. The first was Yotsuba. When we started Yotsuba the first few days were like this. If you go over to see what is happening now (it’s still going on) whole chapters go by without a single question being asked. My second club was NyannNyann, which I also set up. Again, hundreds of people joined up, and the first few days were like this. By the time the book ended, there were just two or three people left active in the thread.

Likewise, this bookclub will also settle down and find its natural pace. Yes, separate threads and things can be set up if that is what people want, but were’re in the first 48 hours of a club that lasts till March and it is much to early to decide if that is necessary!

What might be necessary right now is another thread to discuss all these issues, because all these off-topic posts make this thread tough to read for those concentrating on the book.

7 Likes

I agree. It’s like an introductory class in a community college; those things are overbooked for a reason - sooooo many drops!

1 Like

Might it be easier to put the photos on a separate page in the Google doc (if that can be done), rather than scrolling around to find photos to be deleted? Sorry, I’m on my tablet where the doc is read-only, so can’t check for myself if that is possible.

That’s a pretty good idea

1 Like

If you read back through the thread, I think people were saying that 食べられて was in the passive, not the potential.

1 Like

Yes, but over the next few days you’ll get a feel for the pace of things and it’ll become second nature. And if you do post a sentence or two ahead, it’s not a big deal.

@saruko, could I trouble you for a moment? I have tried to add scanned photos of the current print edition pages to the current doc, but the spreadsheet version only seems to want to accept web-based images; do you know a way around this? If not, could I trouble you to set up a Google doc version of word, where (according to this) it appears easier to add your own photos? Cheers!

I agree for the most part but I think よく is actually 良く here so I would translate it more along the lines

From olden days we have eaten well since to mix vinegar and rice makes it last long

A very literal translation I know but I think that’s closer to the meaning.

P.S. sorry if this has already been mentioned I’m skim reading on my phone so may have missed it

良く means both ‘well’ and ‘often’ (as you can read by following your own link) but in this instance I think ‘often’ is the correct meaning.

The subject of the sentence is ‘rice-mixed-with-vinegar’; with your translation of よくas well instead of often, the subject gets shifted / demoted to a subordinate clause.

P.S. Thank you for your post - while I knew that よくmeant both ‘well’ and ‘often’, and I knew that ‘well’ was 良く, I did not know that the よ in ‘often’ was also 良. One more piece of the massive jigsaw puzzle that is Japanese has dropped into place.

3 Likes