なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Same tbh! I’m a consistent lurker on pretty much everything, but I’m super enjoying WaniKani so I wanna get more involved in the community.

Currently trying to decide whether to buy ebook or physical copy. eBook would be more convenient but I also like the idea of being able to pencil in my notes on the pages as we read… hmm…

1 Like

Anyone have experience with the E-book Japan reader, because I use the browser one, and I don’t see page numbers either :zipper_mouth_face:

Slightly off topic, but lemme know how CDjapan was, I’ve heard bad reviews about them scamming or not having good customer service. Someone said they first took the money then said the shipping method they chose didn’t ship in their area, then they had to change the shipping method and they were charged again (not just extra for the shipping method change, but for the entire order). It took months for the previous order to get refunded.

1 Like

I really hope these bad news are an exception! Thank you for letting me know! I’ll have an eye on it and share if my order arrives safely and how the service was in case I need to contact!

Yes, I really hope so too! Maybe they were having some issues or something, coz I’ve seen good reviews too!

1 Like

I’ve ordered from CDJapan several times now and I have never had an issue - prompt delivery, no runaround, charged what the website said I’d be charged.

2 Likes

ive been wanting to join a reading group for a while but im always scared the book will be too advanced, hopefully this will be good for me!!!

4 Likes

I ordered from ebook Japan! I’m psyched! The e-reader I downloaded from their site makes it look like Section 1 - Food - starts at page 27? I’ll try to adjust the page difference once we get started. Looking forward to November!

3 Likes

the desktop reader app of ebook japan does have page navigation box

1 Like

What is the author and title of this book so that I may search for it?
I’m from USA.

Heh, my Kindle version says the first story (about sushi) starts on page/location 104 of 918. And there are no numbers written anywhere on the pages, so page numbers from the physical book are useless for electronic versions. Moreover, when I played with Kindle settings such as page width, it changed the way the text is splitted into visible pages and I no longer have an idea what the original pages were. I guess even among the ebooks, pages are different depending on the app/device/settings.

1 Like

Random anecdotes is never gonna be the best picture, but I’ve ordered from CDJapan about five times over the last year and have never had a single issue. I’ve never come across anyone else on these forums who’s said they’ve had a bad experience either, though again, it’s hardly a complete picture.

3 Likes

There is a picture of the book, with title, in the top post. The OP also wrote it in the first sentence of the post, so you can copy it from there to paste in a search engine. If you are looking on a US site that doesn’t accept non-alphabetic scripts, “Naze? Doushite? Sekai wa fushigi ni nensei”. Author is Niida Yumiko.

As an aside, have you learned hiragana and katakana yet? You will need them for both Wanikani and to read this book. If not, Tofugu’s a good place to start. We won’t be starting the book for another four weeks, so that should be plenty of time to get to know both kana systems.

Welcome to the reading group and to Wanikani! :crabigator:

3 Likes

Yes, I have very good experiences with CDJapan as well. Sometime earlier this year they suffered from warehouse relocation, which introduced shipping delays and other problems, but even then they always replied to emails and were very helpful.

3 Likes

Hi there, this is my first time posting in the forums!
I decided to buy this from eBook Japan, and am trying to figure out the reader so that I can be ready when we start in november. The page numbers you get with the ebook are a little confusing. does anyone know how to show only spreads perhaps or where the actual pages start and stop? is there maybe a different thread I should be asking in?

I’m excited to read this book with everyone!

1 Like

I(just like everyone else who replied to you) haven’t had any problems with them any of the 10 times I’ve ordered stuff.

(The only extra charge I’ve gotten is for using the proxy service, but there was a pretty clear warning about that, so it did in no way come as a surprise, and it was a pretty small amount too)

1 Like

Okay, you got me - I just ordered a copy of the book instead of buying the ebook version :sweat_smile: I have no idea how to explain to my husband that I ordered new books AGAIN :joy:

Hopefully it will arrive in time!

4 Likes

And that proxy shopping is really neat feature, allowing to buy from sellers that wouldn’t ship overseas.

1 Like

Just ordered this from CD Japan, really excited to be part of a reading group that I might be able to keep up with! :relieved:

Now I just gotta keep my fingers crossed it arrives in time!

2 Likes

Ah, that’s great, then I suppose what I read was wrong. The internet can’t be blindly trusted :smiley: