なぜ?どうして?Finished!

@Luacat and @emucat team! The Cat Team!

1 Like

Also just wanted to chime in that this thread is super helpful for me. It’s a book for grade schoolers but there’s so. much. vocabulary. I like to attempt reading it myself and the checking with your translations. @Luacat and @emucat you’re so thorough that I would have nothing to add or ask. Sometimes I fail miserably at even identifying the words to look up (especially if it’s all in kana).
Since it doesn’t have much text I’ve caught up with the current pages! This is a great book!

4 Likes

Yeah I think the hardest part has been where there’s mostly kana and I’ve also definitely ended up mistranslating things a few times because of it. If this book has taught me anything, it’s how useful kanji is. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@marcusp Thank you so much for your kind words! :hatching_chick:

Not yet :sob: Watch me revive this thread in three years when it finally arrives…

The seller said to wait another 10 days, so maybe in the next week (I hope!!) :pray:

1 Like

P46, though I’m having problems with the first sentence. I broke down what I think each part is but I can’t make it make sense lol.

首都の 名前が おぼえきれないくらい、長い 国が ある!

首都の 名前が = capital city names
おぼえきれない = not memorised
くらい = to the extent that
長い 国が ある! = long country exists!

あなたは せかいの 国の 首都の 名前を、どのくらい 知っていますか。

To what extent do you know the names of the capital cities in the countries of the world?

イギリスは ロンドン、フランスは パリ、中国は 北京ですね。

England is London, France is Paris, China is Beijing, right?

では、タイの 首都は どこでしょう。

Then, where is Thailand’s capital city?

1 Like

Page 46:

首都の 名前が おぼえきれないくらい、なかい 国が ある!

The longest capital name you have to learn!
Or maybe: The long and unlikely to be learned capital names!

あなたは せかいの 国の 首都の 名前を、 どのくらい 知っていますか。

How many capital country names in the world do you know?
Maybe: How much do you know about World capitals?

イギリスは ロンドン、フランスは パリ、中国は 北京ですね。

UK’s is London, France’s is Paris, China’s is Pekin (Beijing?), isn’t it?

では、タイの 首都は どこでしょう。

Well then, which is the capital of Thailand?

Not sure about でしょう here. Let’s do? where? Maybe it’s a contraction of してみしょう (try to…)?

EDIT: This might answer my doubt:

It seems to be a more polite way to ask, where in this case… but where is the か at the end??

2 Likes

I have the feeling it might be close to my second guess:

The long and unlikely (くらい) not to be learned capital names

Yeah I liked your second translation, but why is it next to 国? Should we just ignore 国 in this case?

A little bit weird…

Capital names unlikely to be memorized, long countries have Sound good if you are Yoda

Page 46

I think the comma is making a list of what the capital city’s name is:
名前が おぼえきれないくらい
名前が 長い
[Edit: changing my mind about it being a list…]

And the first part of the sentence is modifying 国

“There’s a country whose capital city…”

1 Like

Shouldn’t adjectives use the Te form to be connected? The “,” replaces that?

Is くらい an い adjective?

If it’s 暗い, it is.
If it is 位 as a Suffix (which could be here) then no. And it could mean “throne, crown” Like the crown of non-be-able-to-memorize capital names.
If it is 位 as Noun, then no… and means level, grade, rank…

Also it could just be くらい as a Suffix: Approximately, about, around… or: to about the extent that…

So the translation with the last one:

Capital names to the extend that cannot be memorized, long county exits
There is country whose capital city name is long to the extend that cannot be memorized

2 Likes

Ok, so maybe it’s not a list, here’s how I’m parsing it now:

おぼえる verb

きれない auxiliary adjective

くらい suffix/particle

長い adjective

おぼえきれないくらい、長い

so long that it is too much to remember

3 Likes

Yeah I thought くらい was the particle also rather than the adjective

2 Likes

Page 46:

oh man!

I though it was おぼえられない instead of おぼえきれない!!

So it’s not the passive/potential it’s 覚え切れない!!

So, The country that has a capital name too long to memorize

5 Likes

Ahhh that makes so much more sense! :slight_smile:

By the way, totally off-topic, I can feel how this books (and reading everyday, cheeking the grammar and the vocab) is helping me improve more and more. Also that when we started the book I was at level 5 (I think?)

頑張ります!

2 Likes

Page 46

I can see it’s already been answered but to double triple check I just asked on Hi-native, and a very helpful person says

~しきれないくらい…だ。
It’s too much/many to ~.

Thank you everyone! I’d never have been able to understand this chapter title without your help!

2 Likes

Page 47:

バンコクの 正解です。

Bangkok is the correct answer

でも、正式な 名前は バンコクでは ありません。

But the official name of Bangkok is not that

バンコクの 正式名称は、つぎのように なります。

The official name of Bangkok is the following

There we go… expect typos.

「クルンテープ・マハーナコーン・アモーンラッタナコーシン・マヒンタラーユッタヤー・マハーディロック・ポップ・ノッパラット・ラーチャタニーブリーロム・ウドムラーチャニウェートマハーサターン・アモーンピマーン・アワターンサティット・サッカタッティヤウィサヌカムプラシット」と いいます。

It’s called Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Under the picture:

バンコクの 有名な お寺、ワット・ポー。 この お寺も 正しくは 「 ワット・プラチェートゥポンウィモンマンカラーラーム=ラーチャウォーラマハーウィハーン」と いいます。

Bangkok famous temple Wat Pho. This temple is properly called Wat Phra Chetuphon Vimolmangklararm

6 Likes