なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Regarding Jisho: “Adverb taking the ‘to’ particle“

So, when it works and and adverb and you want to connect it to something else you need と

1 Like

Thank you. Do you have a link, so I can read more about it?

What about いろいろ

I guess that would be the adjective.

You could say: “various”, or “a variety of”

1 Like

Cool, thank you. Guess I need to revise my grammar (in several languages) :slight_smile:

Page 30:

ガムを もっているだけで、 ばっ金を とられる 国が ある!

There are countries where you will earn a fine for having gum It’s a little free translation. I am not sure the verb actually means that, or how to actually apply だけで here.

あなたは、チューインガムが 好きですか。

Do you like chewing gum?

ガムを かみおわったら、紙に つつんで すてるのが、マナーです。

When you finish the gum, it’s good manes (polite) to trow it away in the wrapping paper

ぺっと、はきだしたは いけません。

The pets throwing up is not good why the T form?

でも、せかいには、ガムを もっているだけで、ばっ金を とられてしまう 国が あります。

But in the world, there are countries where having a gum carries a fee. Isn’t とられてしまう redundant? Or help with the grammar

2 Likes

Page 30

How about There are countries where you will be fined for just having gum.?

For the fourth sentence, “pets” doesn’t really make sense (besides it would be written in katakana). This word seems better to me:

I’m not sure what you mean by redundant… Which part of the grammar is troubling you?

3 Likes

Thanks! it makes sense!

Does とられて mean “to earn”, or to be earned here…
and しまう to … ok, now it doesn’t make sense. How would you translate that phrase?

ばっ金を とられる is different that
ばっ金を とられてしまう

2 Likes

Actually I have just learned that てしまう means to do something by accident or unintentionally.

1 Like

I’m a bit behind, but I have a question for page 25. There’s this sentence:

食べものを 大事に、より おいしく食べる、むかしの 人の ちえです。

I guess this sentence means: “Even in the past it was common sense that it was important to eat delicious food”

But what is the role of より in this sentence. I see it often, but I never understand how it works.
I’m catching up as soon as I can to where we are currently, but I’m a bit busy. I’ll be there for the current discussions soon!

More? like in more delicious?

I see. I thought it had to be positioned on the left side. But apparently not.

It can also indicate that the speaker regrets what happened, or that the thing was done completely/irrevocably.

Does the sentence make more sense now?

Personally, I often have a hard time making a concise English translation of sentences using 〜てしまう, and in this case I would just leave it out of the translation. (Of course you’re going to regret being fined; of course you can’t get your money back after you’ve paid the fine… so I don’t think it’s worth the all the extra words you would need in English to explicitly say that here.)

4 Likes

Yeah… I get it. You got fined, but you were not looking for it. Like when you break something, you usually do it by accident, and if you say “I broke my iPhone” it might sound you did in purpose. With 〜てしまう it’s clear it was an accident.

1 Like

I also thought the “ptoo” (i.e. spitting sound) translation for ぺっと made sense, although it’s an odd sentence! I went for

Ptoo! You must not spit it out!

The construction is “te form” はいけません meaning “you must not do…” Genki chapter 6 if that helps.

4 Likes

That’s really helpful thanks! I was completely on the wrong track trying join the two verbs とる and しまう as doing something and doing something else using the te form.

Here is something I found about てしまう

A bit more liberal translation to put the てしまう in there…

But there are countries where you can end up in the regrettable situation of getting fined for simply having gum.

6 Likes

Page 31

I was also having trouble with this. But thanks to the discussion here, I think I’ve finally got it. Thank you everyone!

ばっ金 - a fine
取る - とる - to earn
取られる - passive form
取られて - passive て form
てしまう - 1) to do something by accident, 2) to finish completely, 3) unfortunately

ばっ金を とられる - to be fined (lit: to earn a fine)
ばっ金を とられてしまう - be fined [unfortunately]

8 Likes

That’s a great summary!

1 Like

Page 31;

それは、アジアの 国、シンガポールです。

This (country we were talking) is Singapore, an Asian country.

そのまま すてる ことは もちろん、ガムを 売る ことや、もっているのが、見つっただけでも、ばっ金を はらわなければ なりません。

Of course just like to throw anything but to sell or having gum haven’t become a thing for which a fine must be paid though I have tried to rephrased better, but I’m not happy yet.

Under the picture:

シンガポールの きれいな 町なみ。

Singapore clean street

EDIT: Typo

2 Likes

Page 30 and 31

ガムを もっているだけで、ばっ金を とられる 国が ある!

A country exists where you can get fined just for carrying gum!

あなたは、チューインガムが すきですか。

Do you like chewing gum?

ガムを かみおわったら、紙に つつんで すてるのが、マナーです。

When you have finished with the gum, it is good etiquette to wrap it in the paper and throw it away.

ぺっと、はきだしては いけません。

Ptoo, spitting it out is wrong.

でも、せかいには、ガムを もっているだけで、ばっ金を とられてしまう 国が あります。

But, in the world, there are countries that have a fine for carrying gum.

それは、アジアの 国、シンガポールです。

That is the Asian country, Singapore.

そのまま すてる ことは もちろん、ガムを 売る ことや、もっているのが 見つかっただけでも、ばっ金を はらわなければ なりません。

Naturally, being discovered immediately after discarding the gum will result in a fine - but also if you are selling or carrying it.

(I’m not sure my translation is correct, is was a difficult sentence to translate so I got a bit creative)

シンガポールの きれいな 町なみ。

Singapore’s beautiful townscape.

5 Likes

I understood the complete opposite :cold_sweat: