なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Page 28:

韓国の 茶わんは、日本の ものと ちがって 金ぞくで できている ものが よく 見られます。

Korean rice bowls differ from Japanese ones, as they are look nicely made in metal

金ぞくせいの 茶わんでは、あたたかい ごはんや しるが 入っていると、とても あついので、手で もったり 口を つけたりする ことは、できません。

The metallic bowls, that contain warm rice and soup, allow to be placed in the mouth and hold in the hands (although) be very hot ?? not sure about the end, or the function of both り

また、日本では、しるものに ごはんを 入れて 食べる ことは、ほとんど しませんが、韓国では こうした 食べ方も ふつうに 見られます。

The Japanese ones also contain soup and rice, not really to eat things but the Korean ones are seen generally for that way of eating Something is wrong because it doesn’t make complete sense. Also, what’s the difference between 入れて and 入っている?

韓国は、 年上の 人を とくに 大事に する 國です。

Korea is a particular, serious country with old people

1 Like

Page 28

Here よく means “often”, and 見られます is passive.

1 Like

Page 28:

How would you translate it?

Page 28

I agree with you on the first part of the sentence. In total I would say something like:

Korean bowls are different from bowls in Japan. In Korea you often see ones made out of metal.

2 Likes

Congrats for being studious in such an environment.
babies-gif-4

4 Likes

I think I would translate this as

Korea is a country that they appreciate their elderly. (I mean that 大事 goes to old people, therefore considering them as important.) And although I haven’t read the next page yet, based on its picture, maybe that’s what is going on?

As for

I can’t make a proper sentence out of it. My head hurts so much because of it.

入れて(入れる) means to insert, so I’d translate the first bit as:

In Japan, rice is put in the soup and eaten…

Where the て is just a connector.

入る is to enter, with the っている indicating a past change of circumstance that continues to have an effect, so I’d say it means “is in”:

warm rice and soup are in the metal bowl

That said, I’m not totally sure and could be totally wrong!

1 Like

Page 28

〜たりする is a way of saying “and”. You can read about it in section 4.4.7 of Tae Kim

As for the end of the sentence, できません is the negative (“can’t”).

My translation:

When you put something like warm rice or soup into a metal bowl, it’s very hot, and so you can’t hold it in your hands or touch it to your mouth.

Not to be too picky, but there’s also the こと nominalizer after 食べる, so if you were translating

日本では、しるものに ごはんを 入れて 食べる ことは

it would be “in Japan, putting rice in the soup and eating it”

I only point this out since は makes it the topic of ほとんど しません (is hardly ever done) which makes a significant change in meaning.

8 Likes

Page 26

Yes indeed, according to Jisho, 茶わん can mean both rice bowl and tea cup.

And for a word like this, it’s always interesting to see what Google Images has to show.

3 Likes

Page 29:

食費の ときは、年長の 人が 一口 食べはじめてから、みんなが 食べはじめる きまりです。

When is time to dinner, it’s a custom that after the older have done the first bite, everyone can start eating

日本と 韓国は、海を へだてて となりどうしですが、食事の ルールでは いるいると ちがいが あります。

Japan and Korea, that are neighbors separated by the ocean, have various similar rules for eating

韓国を 地図で 探してみよう。

Let’s try to find out Korea in the map

2 Likes

Page 29

食費の ときは、年長の 人が 一口 食べはじめてから、みんなが 食べはじめる きまりです

食費のときは、- (as for) when it’s time to eat,
年長の人が - older people
一口食べはじめてから、- after eating the first bite
みんなが - everyone
食べはじめる - to start eating
きまり - 決まり - custom
です - copula (“is”)

“At meal times there is a custom that everyone starts eating after older people have had the first mouthful”

“At mealtimes it is the custom for everyone to wait for older people to start eating first”

6 Likes

Page 29

日本と 韓国は、海を へだてて となりどうしですが、食事の ルールでは いろいろと ちがいが あります

日本と韓国は、- Japan and Korea
海をへだてて となりどうしですが、- are next-door neighbours divided by the sea, but
食事のルールでは - mealtime rules
いろいろちがいがあります - there are various differences

“Although Japan and Korea are next-door neighbours dived by the sea, there are various differences between them in regards to customs around mealtimes”

7 Likes

Bit late for 28 (I really struggled with it), so here’s both 28 and 29.

韓国の 茶わんは、日本の ものと ちがって 金ぞくで できている ものが よく 見られます。

South Korean rice bowls differ from the Japanese ones as they are often seen made with metal.

金ぞくせいの 茶わんでは、あたたかい ごはんや しるが 入っていると、とても あついので、手で もったり 口を つけたりする ことは できません。

Metal rice bowls become very hot when they contain warm rice and soup, so you cannot hold them in your hand or place them near your mouth.

(As a site note - anyone know what もったり is? I couldn’t seem to figure this out.)

また、日本では、しるものに ごはんを 入れて 食べる ことは、ほとんど しませんが、韓国では こうした 食べ方も ふつうに 見られます。

Also, in Japan, soup is not usually added to rice, in South Korea such a way of eating can normally be seen.

韓国は、年上の 人を とくに 大事に する 国です。

South Korea is a country that particularly appreciates older people.

食事の ときは、年長の ひとが 一口 食べはじめてから、 みんなが 食べはじめる きまりです。

At dinner time, it is custom for the senior person to take the first bite before everyone begins to eat.

日本と 韓国は、 海を へだてて となりどうしですが、食事の ルールでは いろいろと ちがいが あります。

Japan and South Korea are neighbours separated by the sea, and yet there are various dinner time rules and differences.

4 Likes

Thanks! I not sure why I ignored the negative part…

1 Like

Is the past of 持つ, to hold

1 Like

Good evening all. My book just arrived in the last few days and excited to try and dip into it at last although also trying not to get distracted from final JLPT N5 prep before next week’s exams…

Enjoyed reading all your efforts on this chapter which has lots of unfamiliar grammar for someone like me just finishing Genki 1.

I thought the 持ったり linked to the つけたりin what Genki chapter 11 calls “~ たり~たりする” construction, meaning “doing things such as A and B.” So I thought this was:

doing things like holding the bowl in the hand or bringing it to the mouth

and my try at the sentence was:

When metal bowls contain things like warm rice and very hot soup, they can’t be held in the hand or brought to the mouth.

8 Likes

Sounds great!

Page 28

Thank you everyone! So…

もつ - 持つ - to hold
past - 持った
add り = 持ったり

口を付ける - to taste; to try (food or drink)
but, yes, I agree that ‘held to the mouth’ or ‘brought to the mouth’ is better in this context
past - ​口を付けた
add りする

“if bowls made of metal are filled with hot soup or rice, they can’t be picked up and held to the mouth”

or, as Micki had it:

5 Likes

Thanks for the explanation everyone :slight_smile: That helped me a lot.

1 Like

Page 28

Can someone explain this と in “(…)いろいろ ちがいがあります”? Couldn’t it be “(…)いろいろちがいがあります”, without a connector?

1 Like