なぜ?どうして?Finished!

LOL! There’s not enough room in my brain for that as well! Good luck with it!

Page 67

As emucat is otherwise occupied, I’ll take this opportunity to plough on, demonstrating my ignorance of Japanese vocabulary and grammar to the world!

そして, 海水よりも しおが こい 死海では, もっと 体が うきやすく なるのです.

そして、- and then,
海水 - seawater
より - more than
も - also
しおが - salt + が
こい - 濃い - deep / strong / thick
死海では、- in the dead sea + は
もっと - even more
体が うきやすく - easy to float your body
なる - becomes
のです - explanatory particle + polite ending

And then, it is even easier to float in the Dead Sea as there is more salt than in sea water.

How’s that?

6 Likes

Thanks for posting the pages!:v:

Trying to catch up. Marcusp carefully planned the previous chapter to coincide with the midnight sun in Antarctica, and for then for perhaps the longest chapter yet to coincide with Christmas festivities… :wink:

I wonder if 切り better translates as “remaining” - “the remaining sea became a lake.”

水分が じょうはつしていき
I also translated this as “water evaporated” (して being the te-form joining two verbs in a sequence, and the past tense coming from the ultimate なりました) - but does anyone understand the いき at the end?

1 Like

The picture on the page helps in translating this sentence. I think 海 refers to the main sea now (not the Dead Sea), and 場所 refers to the place we are talking about (the Dead Sea).

So we can maybe translate as:
Nowadays the place is roughly 400 metres below sea level.

3 Likes

I don’t see the “below “ part…

It’s literally “lower than,” より…ひくい, but we say “below sea level” rather than “lower than sea level” more often.

6 Likes

Page 65

Remaining makes perfect sense. I have “the detached sea became a lake”, but it’s basically the same, right?

切り離す - きりはなす - to detach

2 Likes

This is where we miss the kanji!

I had seen it as:
切り-きり - end/bounds/remaining
は - topic marking particle
為す - なす - to build up/establish

But I thought the は looked odd. I think your translation makes sense grammatically and in the context of the sentence.

1 Like

Page 68

七百人が 一度に 入れる きょ大な おんせんが ある?!

七百人が 一度に 入れる きょ大な おんせんある?!

700 people が all at once can enter enormous hot spring が is there?!

Is there an enormous onsen which 700 people can enter all at once?!

Is there [really] an enormous onsen which 700 people can enter all at once?!

4 Likes

I like this one

1 Like

Page 68

おんせんは 地面から おゆが わきでて できた しぜんの おふろです.

温泉は 地面から お湯が 湧き出て できた 自然の お風呂です

hot spring は ground from hot water が gush forth and made natural bath です

An onsen is hot water that gushes forth from the ground and makes a natural bath

5 Likes

Page 68

おんせんに 入ると, 気もちも 体も あたたまりますね.

おんせんに - 温泉, hot spring + に, in
入ると, - when [you] enter
気もちも - 気持ち, feeling + も
体も - body + も
あたたまります - 温まる = to warm oneself
ね. - right?!

When you get in an onsen you warm up both your body and your feelings, right?

4 Likes

I think your translation works well. I’ve gone for:

And then, in the even saltier thick seawater of the Dead Sea, it becomes even easier to float.

1 Like

Good work on page 68 Marcusp. I find your way of parsing the sentences very helpful and have started copying it in my own translations.

Page 68

There is an enormous onsen that will fit 700 people at the same time?!

おんせんは 地面から おゆが わきでて できた しぜんの おふろです.

An onsen is nature’s bath, where hot water gushes forth from the ground.

おんせんに 入ると, 気もちも 体も あたたまりますね.

Entering an onsen certainly warms your body and your soul doesn’t it!

(A little poetic licence at the end there!)

5 Likes

Hiya!

I haven’t been able to keep up with this book at all - life took an unexpected turn. Will this book be covered again in the future?

1 Like

Sorry to hear you haven’t been able to keep pace. I don’t think the book will be covered again after it’s finished but you can still follow along in this thread to get help with the pages you’re reading on your own.
You can also still ask questions or make comments on this thread long after the group has finished and someone will answer. People have been asking questions about books that have long been completed and have gotten responses.

Happy New Year!

3 Likes

I’m still here!!! It’s just the Durtle Heaven is killing me

4 Likes

P68, but Micki already did a great job with this page

Also put up to page 101 in the Google docs this morning, might be able to put some more up on Monday.

700 people at once were put in a huge hot spring?!

あなたは おんせんが すきですか。

Do you like hot springs?

おんせんは 地面から おゆが わきでて できた しぜんの おふろです。

A hot spring is a natural bathtub that is created when hot water gushes forth from the earth’s surface.

おんせんに 入る、気もちも 体も あたたまりますね。

When you enter the hotspring, your mood and body become warm, right?

5 Likes

水分が じょうはつしていき
I also translated this as “water evaporated” (して being the te-form joining two verbs in a sequence, and the past tense coming from the ultimate なりました) - but does anyone understand the いき at the end?

The いき here is the masu stem of いきます, and the stem is used here to make a conjunction.

Also いきます when added to て- verb (~ていく)gives the evaporation direction, so the water evaporated and went away.

4 Likes