なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Since you said you didn’t want a lot of chatter in this thread, I replied to you here:
https://community.wanikani.com/t/pseudo-pms-thread/30550/2633

1 Like

In the following sentence on 54, can someone explain why there is no particle between せかい and さい大の at the beginning?

せかい さい大の ブルーホールは、北アメリカの ベリーズと いう 国の おきに ある、グレート・ブルーホールです。

Is this a unique structure with superlatives? My thought was that there should be a の in between.

1 Like

Or maybe even a に?

Maybe it doesn’t mean “the biggest blue hole in the world”, maybe せかい acts as an adjective here and it means: The biggest world-famous Blue Hole…

Thoughts?

世界最大 seems to be a word/phrase on its own:

(world’s largest)

5 Likes

Thanks! so we were right and @trischtander1 was just trying to confuse us :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Been crazy busy so I got a bit behind, but here’s a stab at page 54 (for 53 I struggled with a lot of the things that everyone else did so I’ll go back and check out all of the posts on that when I have a bit more spare time).

ブルーホールは、せかい かく地に 見られ、 日本の 沖縄県にも あります。

Blue Holes can be seen in various places in the world, one also exists in Okinawa in Japan.

せかい さい大の ブルーホールは、北アメリカの ベリーズと いう 国の おきに ある、グレート・ブルーホールです。

The world’s biggest Blue Hole is called the Great Blue Hole, it exists in the open sea of North America’s Belize.

せかいで 二番目に 広い さんごしょうの 中に ある きょ大な あなで、ちょっけいは 三百十三メートル、ふかさは 百メートルを こえます。

The second largest in the world is a huge hole in the middle of a wide coral reef, the diameter is 313 metres, the depth exceeds 100 metres.

Image Caption
渡名喜島 (沖縄県) の ブルーホールに もぐる ダイバーたち。

Divers diving in Tonaki’s (Okinawa) Blue Hole.

2 Likes

Was this also in today’s page?

Yes this sentence starts on page 54 and finishes on page 55.

Page 54

Isn’t こえます referring to both the diameter and the depth?

Mine is as follows (very similar):

The world’s second widest great hole is located inside a coral reef, with a diameter exceeding 313 meters, and depth of more than 100 meters.

Sorry for being so finicky! It must be my past as an interpreter / translator (not Japanese, obviously), when subtle nuances were important.

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure, because the 313 metres seemed too precise (wouldn’t they have just said exceeded 300m? why be so specific and say exceeds 313m?) and so I treated ふかさは 百メートルを こえます as if it was separate, hence my translation of the diameter being an exact measurement and then the depth exceeding 100m.

I’m likely wrong though, but that’s just how I saw it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Of course, that makes a lot of sense. I was looking at the grammar and completely ignored logic! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah the grammar makes it a bit unclear, but there’s also a comma separating the two so I am leaning more towards こえます referring to depth only.

3 Likes

Page 55:

これは 二十五かいだての ビルが まるごと 中に 入ってしまうほどの ふかさです。

This is like putting a whole 25 story building inside it

3 Likes

Page 55

これは 二十五かいだてのビルが まるごと 中に 入ってしまうほどの ふかさです

これは - this
二十五かいだてのビルが - a 25-storey building
まるごと - completely
中に - inside
入ってしまう - completely enter
ほど - I have no idea what this is!
の - explanatory particle, or possessive の?
ふかさ - depth
です - polite ending

I wouldn’t even like to hazard a go at translating this with the gaps in my understanding here. Can anyone help with that ほど and the role of の? And why does the sentence end with noun+desu?

Thank you!

1 Like

I guess you don’t like my translation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ほど is degree, extent

The depth is like completely putting a whole 25-story building in it

1 Like

Thank you! And yes, funny, your translation is great! It’s just that, for myself, I can’t see how everything fits together. Where does “degree” go into the translation? And where does it say “this is like”? I know I’m being too literal here, but I’m just trying to put it together in my mind word for word first. Your explanation with “depth” is very useful, thank you!

I get the like from the と… If/when…

The degree/extent… not sure… like depth is as big to the degree/extent you can put a whole building in it.

1 Like

Thank you so much again… I’m getting there! Much appreciated!

Page 55

これは、二十五かいだての ビルが まるごと 中に 入ってしまうほどの ふかさです。

This is deep enough to completely insert a 25 story building in its entirety.

Image Caption
空から 見た、ベリーズの グレート・ブルーホール。

Belize’s Great Blue Hole, as seen from the sky.

まわりは さんごしょう。

Coral surrounds it.

3 Likes