なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Page 41

Thank you so much @JavaSparrow, and I hope your book arrives soon, I can’t believe it’s taking so long.

Thank you for that. I think my confusion is that the main verb in the sentence looks to be ちがいます, the last word in the sentence, so I thought other verbs embedded in a sentence have to take the て-form… but clearly I’m wrong! Thanks again so much.

1 Like

Page 42:

岩山が そのまま 一つの 国に なっている?

A rocky mountain, just like one country becomes? Super literal because I’m not sure what it means.

岩山の 上に 三つの とりでを もつ おしろが そびえていて、そこに 人びとが くらしている 国が ある。。。。

On the top of a rocky mountain, 3 fortress await with a castle rising, and there everyone gets along, it’s a country

まろで おとぎ話の 山上の 王国のようですが、にている 国が、ほんとうにあります。

A real country exists that looks like just like a kingdom on the top of a mountain of a fairy tale.

4 Likes

I think that the なっている - Jisho.org is “consists of; to be composed of” rather than “to become”, so I think the first sentence could be translated something like:

岩山が そのまま 一つの 国に なっている?

A country that just consists of a rocky mountain?

I think the rest of the page could be something like:

岩山の 上に 三つの とりでを もつ おしろが そびえていて、そこに 人々が くらしている 国が ある…。

On top of a rocky mountain, three towering forts with a castle endure. There, people are living in this country.

まるで おとぎ話の 山上の 王国のようですが、にている 国が、ほんとうに あります。

This country is a completely mountain-top kingdom that resembles a fairy-tale, it truly exists.

4 Likes

I’m checking しろ… are we sure it’s 白 and not 城??
It’s a noun here, as a subject. The white endures or rises, or a castle does?

Also, why the お in front of white?? And it already showed the kanji in the previous page, and now just kana?

Now I’m pretty sure it means castle :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah you are right I forgot about 城, d’oh :sweat_smile:

In that situation, ~て form is used to conjoin or list verbs or adjectives to show actions in succession (朝ご飯を食べ、学校に行きました → [I] ate breakfast and went to school). More on this construction.

What’s happening here with 示した(しめした) and 表す(あらわす) is known as “attributive verbs,” it’s when a verb modifies a noun. Link to Bunpro.

Examples:
家から出た犬. (いえ から でた いぬ)
[a] dog that exited from [the] house.

色があらわすいみ
A meaning expressed by color.

39ページでしめしたように
[An explanation] as shown on page 39.
(~ように~ is another type of grammar construct meaning “like” or “as” explained here on Bunpro.)

3 Likes

Page 42

Thought this page was about a place in Japan called Iwayama. Made a lot more sense once I realised they were talking about a rocky mountain!

Hadn’t seen pictures of San Marino before. The three towers look amazing on the photo on this page -

4 Likes

Page 42

岩山が そのまま 一つの 国に なっている?

A single rocky mountain is a country of its own?

岩山の 上に 三つの とりでを もつ おしろが そびえていて、そこに 人びとが くらしている 国が ある。。。。

A rocky mountain top holding three towers, castles rising into the sky, and people living there, forms a country…

…おとぎ話の 山上の 王国のようですが…

These are hard sentences to make sound right in English! I like this bit - like a fairy tale mountain top kingdom…

3 Likes

Page 41

Thank you so much for such a full and clear explanation @JavaSparrow! Really, very much appreciated! Thank you!

1 Like

I think 三つの とりでを もつ is modifying おしろ, so it would be more like:

On the top of a rocky mountain rises a castle that has three towers, and there is a country with people living there.

3 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense, and would fit with the picture they’ve drawn in the book. Although in real life they seem like 3 very distinct castles/towers. Owned by different people I think.

I also thought the whole sentence modified 国がある - “there exists a … country” ?

Oh! I hadn’t thought of it that way; you might be right…

Page 43:

国の 名前は サンマリノと いい、 ティターノ山と いう 岩山と、ふもとの 地いきが 一つの 国に なっているのです。

The country is called San Marino, the rocky mountain is Mount Titano and the area at the foot of the mountain is what conforms the country by itself.

人口は 三万人くらいで、 ティターノ山の 上に 首都の サンマリノ市が、 あります。

The population is around 30,000 people and San Marino City is the capital on the top of Mount Titano

山ちょうには 三つの とりでが あり、国旗にも えがかれています。

On the summit of the mountain there are three fortress, and the country flag also represents it

1 Like

Page 43:

In
国の名前はサンマリノといい。。。
can someone explain why this is not “…といって”?

2 Likes

I think it’s the same, but といって is more colloquial. Let me double check…

Edit: from Tae Kim

Short, casual version of 「という」

The phrase 「という」 is used so often and in so many ways that there is a shortened casual version: 「って」.

Yes, but why "といい”?

1 Like

Thais the regular way to quote something:

と (quotation particle) + 言う (to say)

When using

います (say) or いました (said) to report or quote speech, the particle と is placed before 言います. This expression is often written using hiragana only: 〜といいます (or the plain form という).

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I also understand

と言う is what we usually see, the casual form.
と言います at the end of the sentence, or と言いますが to mark the end of the subordinate sentence.
と言って to join sentences.

But I don’t think I have seen といい before? Why the ます stem?

2 Likes

For some reason といい sounded perfect to me. But trying to find a good answer to your question I realized everything you are explaining in the above post… Still investigating…

Edit:

I’m not sure what it says thought…

1 Like

Oh boy,

I’ve got a lot of catching up to do for this after binge-ing for the JLPT.

2 Likes