なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Excellent, thank you for that! I wasn’t happy with the “obviously” translation. Also the そのまま, which is still not very clear to me (but better with your help).

Page 35

エスカルゴ - フランス

Escargot - France

食用の カタツムリを つかった、有名な フランスりょうりです。

Seasoned edible snails, famous in French cuisine.

タコス - メキシコ

Tacos - Mexico

トウモロコシ粉で 作った うすい パンに、さまざまな ぐを はさんで 食べます。

Various ingredients are put between thin bread made from maize flower and eaten.

クスクス - モロッコなど

Couscous - Morocco etc.

小麦こを お米のような 小さい つぶに して ゆでた ものを、肉や 野さいの スープと いっしょに 食べます。

Small grains of wheat flour, similar to rice are boiled in hot water. This is eaten together with other things such as meat, vegetables and soup.

(Split that into two sentences as I was having trouble fitting it all in one… might not be 100% accurate though so… :sweat_smile: )

しょうかいした 名ぶつりょうりの 国を、地図 (2-3ページ) で さがしてみよう。

Let’s find the countries with these local specialties on the map (pages 2-3)

3 Likes

Page 35

Nice work. But where do you see “seasoned” and “in”?

I’d say:

“famous French cuisine, made with edible snails”.

I’m translating つかった, 使った, as made with. What do you think?

1 Like

Page 35

How about "This is eaten together with meat and vegetables in a soup.

Yeah that makes more sense, I mistranslated つかった as 浸かる

1 Like

I get confused by this book’s description of couscous because I’ve never had or seen couscous in a soup? It’s always been dry and mixed with other things… so I couldn’t think of a way for what the book was saying to make sense based on my (admittedly limited) experience of couscous :stuck_out_tongue: So I was assuming soup was like a side thing, but I dunno.

1 Like

I’ve never seen or heard of couscous in a soup either. Maybe they mean that it is cooked in broth?

1 Like

I also don’t know a thing about couscous, so could be way off!

I don’t see anything that says the couscous would be in the soup. Just that it’s eaten with (alongside) the other things (such as meat, or vegetable soup).

4 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up! I was wrong. As usual! lol

Page 35

小麦こを お米のような 小さな つぶに して ゆでた ものを、肉や 野さいの スープと いっしょに 食べます。

Wheat flour is made into small rice-like grains, boiled, and eaten together with meat or vegetable soup.

I was curious, so I checked Wikipedia:

In Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, and Libya, couscous is generally served with vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips, etc. ) cooked in a spicy or mild broth or stew, and some meat (generally, chicken, lamb or mutton).

In France, Spain and Italy, the word “couscous” ( cuscús in Spanish and Italian; cuscuz in Portuguese) usually refers to couscous together with the stew.

Couscous with fish soup is a traditional dish in Trapani, Sicily.

4 Likes

Page 32:

I was wondering, what does つぎのような mean here? I wasn’t able to translate that, but I assumed that the presence of とが 見つかる meant we were talking about more rules that fine you specifically for being found with something.

My translation was more along the lines of:

In Singapore, there are more rules that can earn you a fine for being found with something.

1 Like

つぎのようなこと is basically just filler like we might say with “as we’ll see next” or “as in the next example.”

3 Likes

Thanks, I just started translating the examples and I can see my assumption about the rules requiring you to possess an illegal item was definitely incorrect! I should have kept reading for better context.

1 Like

Page 32

Now I’m confused (easily done mind you). So does つぎのようなこと mean “as we’ll see next”, or does the entire phrase つぎのようなことが見つかると mean “as we’ll see next”? Thanks in advance!

Don’t let the fact that I used the word “see” and the fact that the word 見つかる has 見 in it confuse you. The filler ideas I tossed out were just loose filler examples, not translations for that sentence. You could use something like that, but I didn’t give a sentence translation.

Page 32

Ah, that’s what I assumed. I thought you might be saying that the 見つかると meant the “see” in “we’ll see next”.

But if not, then 見つかると does indeed mean “if you are seen [doing these things, you’ll get a fine]”

Thank you!

“To be seen” is not usually given as a translation for 見つかる, but yes, basically it means that.

1 Like

I translated つぎのようなこと as the following type of things

2 Likes

Page 36… I left the labels for the pictures as they have the romaji anyway.

もっと知りたい!

Even more to know!

せかいで 通じる 日本の りょうり 食べものの 名前

The names of Japanese cuisine are understood in the world.

日本の 食べものは、せかいでも 人気が あります。

Japanese food is popular even in the world.

「スシ (10ページ)」 のように、 海外の レストランなどで 日本語が そのまま 通じる りょうりや 食べものも あります。

Like sushi (page 10), in foreign restaurants you can be understood in Japanese as the cuisine and food are similar.

1 Like