で to join adjectives?

Hi all, apologies if this is a silly question, but I just ran into a sentence I’m having trouble parsing:

「このホテルには、たくさんの素敵で大きな部屋があります。」

As you can probably guess from the topic title, my issue is coming from:

素敵大き部屋

Obviously, 素敵 is a な-adjective and 大きい is an い-adjective, but I’ve never seen で to connect adjectives before. I’m also unsure why な is being used to conjugate 大きい.

Can someone elaborate on the grammar here, and/or point me to a reading? Thanks!

で is the て-form for な-adjectives. Same as nouns.

大きな is the weird な-adjective version of 大きい, which only ever acts prenominally. 小さい → 小さな is the only other example of that happening… that I know of.

1 Like

Here’s an article about い vs な for these types of adjectives.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!

This (which I looked up after posting, natch!) also confirms that conjugating い-adjectives with な is rare.

(See the heading “Beware of い-adjectives”)

In one of the minna no nihongo kaiwa videos you can also see あたたかな(written in kana alone) on the welcome board of a cafe. the only other one I’ve ever seen (besides 大きな and 小さな).

Also, were you already familliar with using the て-form to link enumerations? Like:

A big, blue bus = 大きくて、青いバス
I went to the park and had lunch = 公園に行って、昼ご飯をたべた。
And just for fun: 大きくて青いバスで公園に行って昼ご飯を食べました。

Just wanted to make sure all your questions were answered.

Thanks, sorry I missed your reply. Yeah, I’m familiar with くて for joining い-adjectives, but I forgot about using で for joining な-adjectives. Thanks :grinning:

1 Like

柔らかい can be seen as 柔らかな as well, just thought I’d share… I think I’ve seen a few more but can’t remember at the moment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.