しろくまカフェ: Week 10 Discussion (Chapters 19 and 20)

Ah, my searching did not produce that. For whatever reason. Glad to see it’s just me being bad at looking up words.

1 Like

{ruby}海{rt}かい{/rt}{/ruby}パン with <> instead of {} = かいパン

Aye, it’s in the dictionary. I figure it’s short for パンツ, “ocean pants”.

1 Like

I know you all finished this a looong time ago, but I couldn’t help but notice the banner along the bottom of chapter 20 looks remarkably like the characters Sooty, Sweep and Soo from the Sooty Show. Sooty (the yellow bear) is replaced by a しろくま. Soo, who is a panda, is presumably played by パンダくん. Sweep is himself.

I’ve no idea if Sooty is famous outside the UK, let alone famous enough in Japan to be used like this with no other reference, but they certainly look like Sooty and the gang!

3 Likes

I used to watch Sooty religiously here in Australia.

That was a long time ago, though…

Looks like Sooty was purchased by a Japanese company in 1996, so it’s at least plausible that it may have aired over there. Curious that there’s no Japanese version of the Wikipedia article, though.

2 Likes

Page 116 (bis) and 118 (old)

What’s going on with って? I don’t imagine it’s casual は or と, so what is it here?

Page 124 (bis) and 156 (old)

What is っと? Is it short for と思う or is something else going on?

The one at the end is casual quotation って I’d say.

I reckon so.

I considered that, but then what is it quoting? This is the first time he’s saying that Panda is doing ‘running away from home’ wrong, so I don’t imagine it’s an “Like I said, he’s doing it wrong”. Or is it meant as an emphasiser? “I’m telling you, he’s doing it wrong!”?

You are right about that — Similar to 〜ってば, it puts an emphasis on the speaker’s statement as if they had repeatedly said so in the past! In this case, it has a comical effect, like “tsukkomi.”

2 Likes