しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

where does chapter 2 end i cant seem to find the chapters

It’s marked at the top post:

1 Like

@fernie thanks for the speedy reply, im very new to the thread thanks for the help (:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m happy to go with either approach. I created a poll. I’ll wait a little bit to see if anyone else has any strong opinions.

There’s also a small “End” at the bottom of the page for me.

I understand where you’re coming from, but at the same time, people should be able to do what they want.
If someone wants to do a google doc with the translation, then they should.
If someone wants to do the translation in the thread, then they should, too.
The multiple threads were discussed from before, and were up to the people managing the discussion.

• When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.

This is a rule, but people either don’t know about it because they’re new, or just don’t bother.
Although, from what I see, most people tend to follow it.

2 Likes

All true. My apologies.

1 Like

Sorry guys I didn’t mean to cause so much trouble. This is my first book club and I don’t know what I’m doing.
As for line-by-line translation, the next is page 5:
そうだシロクマくんのお店行こー
My best guess would be:
“I know! I’ll go to Shrokuma’s cafe”

そうだ that is right
シロクマくん Shirokuma
の possessive particle
お店 shop/store with honorific お
行こー volitional form of 行く, as explained by Kazzeon, Belthazar and markusp above.

6 Likes

No, it’s me who needs to apologise. Kazzeon is exactly right, it’s up to the members here how the club is run! Nothing worse than a grumpy old man who thinks he knows best!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure the で here means something like “by way of” You get healed (refreshed, comfortable, rejuvenated) by the abundance of nature surrounding the cafe.

2 Likes

Okay, next up:
page 6
シロクマくんのお店は自然がいっぱいで癒されるなぁ

シロクマくん - Shirokuma
の - possessive particle
お店 - shop/store with honorific お
は - topic partcle

自然 - nature
が - subject (or identifier, according to Tae Kim) particle
いっぱい - lot’s of / full
で - て form of だ copula.

癒されるなぁ - passive form of 癒す

“Shrokuma’s cafe is so full of nature and healing” seem like a good translation?

5 Likes

FYI, the first 50 pages of the book seems to be available to read online from this book site.

https://br.ebookjapan.jp/br/reader/viewer_bookmark/?sku=60843233&bid=JPN-EBI-60667257-0-0&sessionid=viVXGzPIpgqv5kspMNUAXRn5Vcx1AMPb

1 Like

I agree with this one.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree. if で is really the て form of だ dosn’t that mean 癒されるなぁ is a whole different clause? imagine if he only says 癒されるなぁ with nothing else, it would mean I’m healed by it. subject is dropped frequently in Japanese as you know. this way it is still a verb, in your translation you made it an adjective. I know Japanese sometimes have verbs for adjectives in English, but I don’t think it’s the case here
In the end, I think what he says is " Shrokuma’s cafe is so full of nature and I’m healed by it".
what do you guys think?

3 Likes

I agree with that one. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Page 6:
The top three panels:
やあ
いらっしゃい
“Yo, welcome”

いつものやつ?
“the usual?”

うーん
竹大盛り
“umm…”
“one large bamboo, and a coffee after”

“no, one large serving of bamboo with a coffee”

いつものやつね
“so… the usual”

4 Likes

I thought he said, “No, one large serving of bamboo and a coffee.”
Then Shirokuma said, “So, the usual.”

1 Like

yeah me too, that’s how I remember it. god I wish I brought my book with me. nothing better to do in your job more than reading about a polar bear’s coffee shop

3 Likes

You can read it here しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2) - #176 by Okanekure

1 Like

I’d recommend linking the new site. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like