しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

Page 5

Brilliant, so the sentence would be: “But if I do nothing but stay in bed, I just get fat!”

Makes sense!

1 Like

いる to be, but it gets mixed into the sentence a little.
click the image for more info
でも寝てばっかりいると、太っちゃう〜
But if I sleep all the time, I’ll get fat~

行こー = 行こう = 行きましょう :slight_smile:

5 Likes

For some reason it doesn’t let me add a small edit, “Body is too similar to what you recently posted.”

Edit: I’m also not quite sure about the いる part, but you usually see it on ばかりいると as a whole.

2 Likes

Thank you Kazzeon! I’ve just noticed that some of these points were already addressed by Belthazar above! That’s the problem with a chaotic thread and so many posts! And yes, I’m not able to edit posts this morning either. Something is definitely broken there! Thank you again Kazzeon!

2 Likes

FYI, I’m pretty sure the キャッチ&リリース comment is just “catch and release”. It’s a common way to allow fishing in places where there are low numbers of fish.

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s implied that he wanted to catch and release the fish. :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t it be translated to Nice Idea instead of Good Idea?? I mean both make sense but it literally says naisu aidea.

It’s 行こう. Volitional form. Long vowel mark means long vowel.

2 Likes

This may be getting out of hand. :joy:

3 Likes

Page 5

Thank you! Yes, I’m an idiot… I just saw your same reply above!

I don’t think anyone can be in any doubt about this now!

2 Likes

I’d recommend Jisho.org over google translate. It is working pretty good for me so far and will show you several different meanings for each part of the sentence. I am quite a beginner as well. Been using wanikani for a couple months and am a level 6, but I think the only words I recognized so far were 竹、 コーヒー、今日、and 太い

2 Likes

Good idea is a lot more common than nice idea in English, I’d say.
Nice avatar, btw. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s something to watch out for, too. People see words borrowed from English and decide the way to translate them is back to the original words, even if you wouldn’t use them like that in English (or even if they actually mean something very different in Japanese.)

Imagine a Japanese person running into the word “tycoon” and deciding it should be translated into Japanese as “大君”.

1 Like

Why is ヒマ written using Katakana there?

なぜカタカナで「ヒマ」を書きますか

1 Like

No idea. I guess just because it looks cute.

1 Like

I would love a line by line translation, just so I can see if I was correct…

1 Like

All it takes is for people to do it!

Alright, I’ll start:
here’s the doc.

People who know what they’re doing please intervene because I most certainly don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why not just post in the thread? That’s what this thread is for, right?

Based on this suggestion further up the thread (I don’t know how to quote in this).

But my own reason is that it’s actually quite difficult to search in this thread (there’s a lot of kanji that’s difficult to type out even with the furigana. If we have sentences indexed by panel, I feel it would be easier to find).

That being said, I’m happy with either:

• Build out a spreadsheet with a cell per sentence
  • Continue here with a post per sentence
  • Continue here with a post per panel

0 voters