しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

Hello yes I have just spent the last 30 minutes translating the table of contents… aaaaaaaa

I think I understand most of it except these:

ポリネシアンソース (Polynesian ??? sauce) what does the アン mean here?

つくってあそぼうぺーパークラフト (making and playing with a papercraft) is that a good translation?

Thank youuu everyone again for doing this and
I will be back with more questions very soon

edit: ohhHHH now I understand the papercraft section, I thought the story involved the characters making crafts but IM supposed to be making the crafts lol.

4 Likes

Ohhh. An unofficial version. I figured.

Ah I didn’t actually realise it was unofficial :sweat_smile:

You’d think an official translation would at least make an attempt at translating those puns. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, Manga Rock is one of many scanslator ( = scan + translator = print version of “fansubber”) websites. It… pushes the boundary of legality quite a lot, though for many series that will never have an English licencee, they’re basically our only option. Aside from, like, learning Japanese, and who’s got the time for that?

8 Likes

I hope this hasn’t been asked already, but I don’t really get this one:

どうせサカナ食べないじゃん (Last Page, last panel of Chapter 2)

Is…this like a double negation?

No, it’s more like “At any rate, you don’t eat fish, do you?”

You’ll see the ~ないじゃない form around quite a bit…

4 Likes

You underestimate my lack of faith in mass marketed media :wink: \o/

2 Likes

Ah thank you! Now that you mention it, it sounds really familiar…

The あん’s probably part of Polynesian. Polynesian Sauce is a proper thing, so the “(ia)n” would get japanese-ified along with the “Polynesia”, even if that’s not how you would express “sauce of Polynesia” (ポリネシアのソース) in Japanese using Japanese.

This is mostly speculation, though.

This isn’t really an edit, as I haven’t posted this yet, but after I wrote the above I found a link about ポルネシアんソース which has a description of it and says “Polynesian sauce” in the link. 肉に合う絶品ソース ホテル特製ポリネシアンソースが家庭の材料で作れるよ

3 Likes

Ohh that must be it, jisho was recognizing “Polynesia” and “sauce” but not “Polynesian sauce.” Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Page 6

Thank you for that. I say いらなに every time I’m offered a plastic bag in Japan, I just learnt it as a stock-phrase. What would be the polite version? Could you say いらないです or is いりません better? I’d like to be a bit more polite!

2 Likes

Take a look at the なぜ?どして?bookclub. We’ve just finished reading a 141-page beginners book, going through each and every page line-by-line. No official translations, just people discussing the book in logical order. And, once the book actually started, no waffle either.

In contrast, this thread looks like utter chaos!

Spot on!

@emucat set the tone in なぜ?どして?and did a great job. All it takes is someone to do the same here…

1 Like

You’re probably fine? I’m not the best equipped to talk about being polite in Japanese, honestly. I marinate in the casual.
I just had the mental image of someone being offered sugar in a more formal setting and saying いらない and shuddered, so I wanted to couche what I said. I think someone could at least through out a 結構です

2 Likes

Page 5

あー 今日もヒマだなー

あー - ahh
今日 - today
も - also
ヒマ - , free time
だ - copula
なー - sentence ending particle

“ah, I’m free today as well yeah”

5 Likes

Thank you!

Page 5

でも寝てばっかり いると太っちゃう〜

でも - but
寝て - 寝る, to lie down / to sleep, in て-form
ばっかり - after て form = only doing this
いる - ???
と - if
太っちゃう〜 - 太る, to grow fat, in casual しまう form, to express regret

“But if I do nothing but sleep, I just get fat!”

Not sure what the いる is doing in this sentence. Can anyone help?

2 Likes

Perhaps you could say, けっこうです :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Page 5

そうだ シロクマくんの お店行こー

ナイス アイデア

そうだ - that’s right
シロクマ - 白熊, white bear, polar bear
くん - suffix for boy’s name
の - possessive particle
お店 - shop, cafe, etc, with honorific お
行こー go, not sure of the ending here though
ナイス アイデア - nice idea

“that’s right, I’ll go to Shirokuma-kun’s cafe…” nice idea

Can anyone help with the ending in 行く?

4 Likes

Thank you Kazzeon!

1 Like

I believe the いる in this case means “to stay”.

2 Likes