しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

I can see how that would be confusing for those living in Vancouver or San Francisco.

I’m gonna make a start on this in my lunch break at work (also hoping to finish early today!) :smiley:

I did have a flick through this morning though, it looked quite hard to decipher where one chapter started and the other endded, I’m sure it’ll be fine, but just in case I can’t figure it out, what page numbers am I looking for? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the google doc there is a separate sheet that lists all page numbers for the old and new version of the books and the ebook version.

Chapter 1&2

1 Like

ありがとうございました 見ませんでした :sweat_smile: that’ll teach me :slight_smile:

1 Like

It can be easy to overlook :wink:

@FlamySerpent maybe that info would be helpful to include in the weekly threads? Things will get especially confusing later on when the page numbers and order of chapters will be different in the old version vs the new one.
I don’t mind adding that info to your posts if you like but I didn’t want to edit without asking (and who knows for how I long I can keep doing this, I’m always losing and regaining my Regular status…).

3 Likes

Oh, I added the info about the pages right before the google doc link, I thought that would be enough:DD Should I make the text bigger, maybe?

3 Likes

Ah, now that you mention it, I see it but I completely overlooked it although was actively looking for it :woman_facepalming:

So yes, maybe „page numbers“ in bold or something like that would help? Or we could put the page number information directly in the post but that would of course be some extra work for you and I don’t want to burden you with that.

3 Likes

I have read the two chapters and I’m pretty happy about how it went. I had to look up words but it was still very enjoyable.

Of course I’ve been a fan of the anime for years so it helps :smile:

But man seeing sakana and boku in kana threw me off. I also pretty much skip onomatopoeias :-/ or I feel like it would double the time it takes me to read.

Looking forward to continue reading it with you all

13 Likes

Oh that’s not much work, it’s fine:D I can put something like this for every week thread :thinking:

5 Likes

First Time for me a professional lucker,

Any piece of advice for extreme beginners? I am only level 3 and kind of confused on how I should tackle this book. Should I focus on understanding the vocabulary or should I focus on the grammar?

I just started the first page, I feel a little bit confused already. Any method advice will be appreciated

Thank you for reading :grinning:

8 Likes

I would find that helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

@Laurenbulgogi I have no great advice on this. I bought these when I was also just starting out and felt really overwhelmed by the content. I put then aside for almost a year and got through Genki I&II, kept up with WaniKani and the Core deck in Anki and did read some Graded Readers. Now when I looked at the manga again, it all seems nice and easy. But if „just come back to it in a while“ is not an option… I think I would open the google doc which should help with the vocabulary and save you a lot of time because you don’t have to search everything in a dictionary. And then for all the grammar I don’t understand I would search in this thread to see if anyone has already done the work for me. I’m a fan of keeping things as easy as possible so that I still enjoy going through the content (and have a realistic chance of actually doing it).

7 Likes

How does it look now?:3

3 Likes

Not even I would have missed it now :grinning: Thank you!

2 Likes

Adding in my reply because I’m in the same boat, and glad to see another absolute beginner in a thread of all much higher level people :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve decided that I’m going to go through roughly a page per day, and work on translating every bit of the page into a google sheet, and eventually over time learn the most common and useful words from the story. Page 1 today sucked, I knew pretty much nothing, but I google translated each block of text to get the gist, and then translated each part of the sentence until I had a rough understanding of all of the pieces and how they came together to make the full sentence.

Down the track I will revisit these sheets to correct mistakes that I’ve made (I have no doubt I’ve mistranslated some words or grouped them incorrectly) but for now it’s a nice way to keep track of what I’m learning and ensure that I’m covering as much ground as possible while I go through a book clearly meant for people with far more experience than what I have!

Stay strong, we’ll be much more prepared for book 2 if we can make it through this one :smiley:

6 Likes

Amazing! Like you! :wink:

Yeah I agree it stands out perfectly and fits the thread without being too much :3

3 Likes

19 people on the vocab sheet, that’s a first! :open_mouth:

My favorite joke was: the カメハメハ one :joy: Not in a small part because of よつば :stuck_out_tongue:

This was really fun! And short, too! I look forward to the puns.

I saw 本名 on the spreadsheet, but not on the manga. :eyes:

2 Likes

Isn’t it in the “moral” at the end of chapter 2?

Page 8 (old edition)

Thank you for that. Thus the picture of Panda’s house (Chinese-style). It’s so big that even though he may live just next door, walking over to the cafe equates to some distance!

1 Like

We’re only on chapter one and I’m already lost! Could everyone please post page numbers at the top of their posts?! Doing so also makes life easier when searching.

3 Likes

What’s that? :dizzy_face: