しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

On page 6: なんていってもマスターのシロクマくんがいい味出してるね。
Is なんていっても ‘no matter what they say’?
Does いい味出してる mean that シロクマくん has/provides good taste?

3 Likes

出す can also mean “to serve (food)​”, so I understood it as “he is serving food that tastes good”.

I took it as “but that being said (or maybe, “but whatever they are saying”?), polar bear is serving food that tastes good” (which is the main thing, not the publicity).

(But I also have no idea what I’m doing :wink: )

Side note: yay, the book club has finally begun! Really happy about this :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I think that なんていっても means “I’ve said this before, but” or “I always say this, but”, but I don’t have a source for this.

2 Likes

Nnnaaah, it’s more like what irrelephant said.
What you said would br more like 前にも言ったけど
Or 前にも言ったように

3 Likes

Page 8: 歩けばそれなりにあるんだよ. I don’t understand the なりに part, I looked up the meaning and it says “in one’s own way”?

3 Likes

It is usually used like that. I got it as a little bit mocking towards the panda in this specific situation :smiley:

3 Likes

Does anybody have any insights as to why the bears chose those particular names or why the man appears to be disturbed by them?

1 Like

I just asked my wife about this one, because i couldn’t work out the middle part. “There is ____ if you walk.” She says it implies "There is a distance if you walk.’

5 Likes

Panda-san’s name is literally written on his face. :stuck_out_tongue: (In the same panel, Shirokuma-san’s face is forming the Henohenomoheji.)

Dunno if the man is disturbed, just surprised to learn that they actually have names.

6 Likes

シロクマのお店行こう

I was under the assumption that there would be a particle between お店 and 行こう. From the very little I know, shouldn’t there be either へ or に。and since it’s not there is it because panda is speaking casually?

2 Likes

Yeah… I was a bit puzzled by it when reading at first, since my dictionary gave me a few different possible meanings for いっぱい, but I’m pretty sure it’s two separate clauses there, いっぱいで being the て form of いっぱいだ. So, “There’s lots of nature there, and I’ll be healed.”

3 Likes

So my copy finally reached my remote island just today. I’ve been inundated with work and haven’t even had a chance to look at it yet. Apparently this is starting the twelfth instead of thirteenth? And already has over fifty replies?? Oy vey. What are you guys doing to me. :upside_down_face:

lowkey I’m actually pretty excited just please don’t hate me if I jump in a few days late with questions from page 1 lol

2 Likes

I read the first two pages last night and nearly died of exhaustion. I probably should have studied some grammar before jumping in.

Is Bunpro enough to get me through these chapters?

2 Likes

Jisho turns up a couple of historical figures with the name 伊集院? No idea if either is well-known enough for it to be a specific reference. The vibe I got from the dialog was just that it was a generically pretentious sort of name.

3 Likes

Aye, that’s it exactly.

Aye, Wikipedia’s got a few more, and a couple of placenames, but none of them, really strike me as being famous enough to elicit any sort of a reaction. Or maybe that’s just my lack of knowledge of Japanese history and/or pop culture.

2 Likes

I want a shirt that says ナイス アイデア

14 Likes

I’m struggling on page 6, can’t seem to Google the answer to this…

What is going on in this line:

雑誌にもよく

I assume that に is a particle there, but I can’t find any results for what よくも might mean.

2 Likes

I think にも is a word that means “also/too” instead of に being a particle here. Someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny.

2 Likes

It has been the 13th for 14 hours already in Japan. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, Patrick. Get with the program, Patrick.

3 Likes