しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

Damn, I didn’t notice this whole time.

Thanks for the help (@NLeseul too). I’ve updated the translation.

4 Likes

I’m basically going through it similarly to how you are. I’m treating this book club more as pleasure reading and exposure than as serious studying. I know I don’t get the all the subtleties and all the specific grammar points, but I’m doing a pretty good job of getting the overall picture.

Plus, it’ll be fun to look back over the book in a few months and see how far we’ve all come and how much more we understand.

4 Likes

Not trying to rag on anyone, but a lot of questions have been asked and answered multiple times. People should try to do a search of the thread, and people should also put page numbers in their posts to make searching easier.

8 Likes

Fromer frofessional Lurker here: First up http://jgram.org/ is a superb website for looking up grammar constructions. In combination with the infamous https://jisho.org/ lots of stuff can be found :smiley:

Now to the translation. Copying @fernie s format, because I like it, thanks! Old Version, Page 7 (puns incoming!):

1. Panel
    前 - before, last time
    は - topic marker
    いっぱい - a lot, much, completely filled
    入れた - 入れる (in -た [past] form)
    => 前はいっぱい入れた - Last time you put in a lot [of sugar].

2. Panel
    無糖 - unsweetened, sugarless
    派 - faction, group, party
    に - target particle
    なった - なりました - to become, to change into
    ん - の - possessive/genitive particle (Here adding an explanatory tone)
    だ - です - copula
    => 無糖派になったんだ - I joined the sugarless party

3. Panel
    それは無党派 - That is a political independent voter

4. Panel
    それは武闘派 - That is armed struggle faction (?) That does not really fit the panel imho…

5. Panel
    それは未踏派 - That is travelling on foot [through the] unexplored. Or more liberal: That is exploring uncharted terrain/That is exploring remote areas. Probably a pun on the combination of:
    未踏 - unexplored
    踏破 - travelling on foot/all over

6. Panel
    それはカメハメハ - That is Kamehameha [First ruler of Hawaii]

7. Panel
    ダイエット - diet
    してる - している - しています - progressive form of する
    から - therefore, (inverse because)
    お - 御 - honorific
    砂糖 - Sugar
    は - topic marker
    控えてる - 控えています - to hold back, to abstain
    ん - の - possessive/genitive particle (Here adding an explanatory tone)
    だい - かい - か - casual question marker or weak exclamation
    => ダイエットしてるからお砂糖は控えてるんだい - I am abstaining from sugar because I am dieting. (Going with the “weak exclamation” of -だい)

Comments welcome
I hope someone finds this helpful :slight_smile:

EDIT: Added to the の explanation. Thanks to @theghostofdenzo for reminding me.
EDIT2: Added a remark for the 5th Panel on the combined word. Thanks @Wiggle for pointing it out.

10 Likes

I remember reading in the Aria thread that の can be used to name things, so sort of like “The master, who is called Shirokuma”

3 Likes

I think the 行く ending is the retracted informal volitional 行こう. Because he is sleepy his has missed the う off. So he is saying lets go to the cafe. Thats how I understood it.

2 Likes

Oh… just read a few posts ahead and can see that has been discussed to the Nth degree already :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Page 6

Nice link! Very interesting indeed! Thank you @NicoleIsEnough!

2 Likes

Brilliant work! Very helpful indeed! Thank you so much @M4a1x!

Haven’t seen this one asked yet:
Can someone help me break down 末踏破 (みとうは) on page 7 (the one with all the puns) panel 5?

The vocab sheet breaks it into two parts:
未踏 - unexplored
踏破 - travelling on foot/all over

Jisho.org suggests that 末 means tip, end, or top and from Polar Bear’s miming I think it might be mountain climbing, but the vocab sheet gives me the impression that it might be more like exploring remote areas?

(Edited to have the correct kanji in the correct places and still preserve my misunderstanding.)

2 Likes

That’s the conclusion I came to as well.
Although you seem to be using different kanji at some points, 末 and 未, with 未 being the correct one, I think. That’s why you get tip for 末.

2 Likes

Based on those two vocab words and the picture in the manga, I was guessing it was just a made up portmanteau word combining the two meanings - so, yeah, basically what you just said…

…Oh my god. I didn’t even notice those were two different kanji. That difference is going to be the end of me. Thanks for pointing it out.

2 Likes

Thank you! That makes so much more sense!

Kotobank has a definition for 武闘派; I’m not looking at it too closely, but it’s something about people who believe in uncompromising force.

Wikipedia redirects it to the page for タカ派, which they translate as “war hawk.”

1 Like

Thanks @M4a1x, awesome work!

Next up, new version (I think - the one with the polar bear on the cover), Page 8:

• Panel 1
    でも - but
    竹大盛り - large serving
    => でも大盛り… - but the large serving…

• Panel 1 (cont)
    家 - house/home
    から - from
    歩いて - 〜て form of 歩く (to walk)
    きたら - to come; when I came - conditional form of 来る, as explained by @jaearess below
    お腹 - stomach
    減った - reduced
    んだ - explanatory のだ
    もーん - もの, according to @Belthazar above
    => 家から歩いてきたらお腹減ったんだもーん - When I walked here from my house, I got hungry.

• Panel 2
    おとなり - house next door
    じゃん - isn’t (contraction of じゃない, or as I’m used to: ではありません)
    => “isn’t it the house next door?”

3 Likes

“When I walked here from my house, my belly shrank.”
“When I walked here from my house, I got hungry.” (Thanks @Belthazar!)

It could probably be phrased a little different because of the んだ and もの, but I’m not really confident in exactly how. Maybe start with “The thing is…”?

I actually had a question early in the thread about きたら/歩いてきたら myself, so I can answer this one :).

きたら is the たら conditional form of くる (plain past form + ら.) And くる attached to the て form of a verb can mean the action took place toward the speaker/their current location–that’s why I translated it as “walked here.” The conditional part is the “when” at the start–it could be “when” or “if” (or possibly other things?), but “when” seems more appropriate here.

1 Like

It’s “I got hungry”.

んだもの is basically emphasising that it’s “because”.

4 Likes

Dang, I suspected that, but I apparently didn’t search for it in quite the right way to find it, so I went with the literal translation (I thought maybe he was saying he lost weight because he walked there, so it was fine he was eating a lot.) I think I was leaving the お on when I shouldn’t have.

Thanks!

1 Like

this is good i had to ask this same question to my wife (shes japanese) and your correct thanks for the advice

1 Like