しろくまカフェ Vol 1: Absolute Beginner Book Club

Joining! Ordered the book, hopefully it will arrive in time (looks iffy)

1 Like

I’m going to try to start filling the Google Doc Vocab, so new people don’t feel super overwhelmed.
If someone wants to help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Also, new people, from my experience, at the beginning , any book seems very difficult. Once you read and understand (with help) a couple chapters, it gets much easier. Your Japanese reading skills are improving, you are getting used to the tone of the book (formal, casual, etc.), the vocabulary and grammar structures get repeated…

Just ask any question. Why is that particle here, what does that mean, why is not using that…

21 Likes

Might be helpful somewhat to put this new people advice in the first post as I’m sure many will dread even starting! I’m looking forward to the discussion though! :smiley:

1 Like

Would like to help with the vocab list, but you have to tell me what exactly should end up in the doc file. Is in the other clubs such a list aviable as reference?

Yes, you can check the “naze” group. Also there are instructions in the first page.

1 Like

I’m not planning to participate here, but I just wanted to say how awesome it is that 131 people have already said they plan to join this book club and it’s still more than a month away! Good job.

4 Likes

Well… in the previous one more than 300 said they were joining, but in the end, it’s just a handful of us who actually participate…

5 Likes

I think you might have more luck with this one because it’s a genuinely fun little manga, and I think people will be more inclined to read and talk than to engage in the なぜ format of translating the lines. I believe in this! I would probably read along too if I hadn’t just dropped a fat wad on a bunch of other books.

2 Likes

That’d be pretty sweet! If a few of us could sync up we could totally do that.

1 Like

That Japanese Ammo with Misa video about it I really enjoyed, but… it looked really difficult to me… lots of words and phrases I don’t know, in all sorts of casual and polite speech…

But… I’m tempted to join… so the old versions with the nice covers are basically just split into more volumes than the “bis” version, so we’d be missing a bunch of chapters compared to the bis version if we got the old one? I think I’d prefer the new version…

I’m currently about 30 pages behind on the naze doushite book… so perhaps need to catch up on that before I think about starting another book club, as I’ve fallen out of the habit of reading it >_<

3 Likes

In the bis version there are 28 chapters. In the old one there are 20.

It also seems difficult to me, but I’m sure once we start is not that hard. We’ll learn the vocabulary and the casual speech

I am ready…

That’s a really good idea, I’m a little busy so I can’t, but if it’s not done closer to the start date, I’ll try and make one up. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

In the vocabulary google doc, is it necessary to make different colums for each version regarding the page of appearance? Or are the page number equal for the two versions?

1 Like

The original version has fewer chapters per volume, so there’s going to be a difference towards the end, even if there isn’t one at the start.

I see からかい上手の高木さん in there :eyes:

I burned it yesterday and I was so thankful for the book club :joy::joy:

5 Likes

Good eye :wink: do you want to read it with me?

1 Like

I’ll be reading 3 mangas, 2 light novels and 1 book/week in English pretty much all on a daily basis once the bookclubs start… :sweat_smile: I don’t wanna divide my attention more than it is already :rofl: But I’ll think of you in case things get somehow manageable!

1 Like

I think the differences start around page 90. It would be super nice to have a separate page number column for the old version. Would that be ok to add?

1 Like

Feel free to add whatever you think it’s convenient. I was thinking on adding the WK level where you learn the kanji’s

2 Likes

Thanks, if I find a way to do it I’ll add the old page numbers.

Unfortunately I’m not yet sure how to do it since I only have the old version myself and all the „not entirely legal“ versions that I found are always the old version too.

I think I‘ll need the help of someone with the new version for that :-/