しろくまカフェ Vol 1: Absolute Beginner Book Club

Hawaii is chapter 20…

すごい! Looking forward to joining in! This will be my first book club ever and definitely my first Japanese manga, I have been reading the graded readers and I feel ready to dive into this as well! Ordered my copy, hoping it arrives before the start date, I think it says between Feb 19-March 4 so I’m crossing my fingers it doesn’t arrive later than expected! =D

2 Likes

Compare chapter names? The 5 old books might have been divided in 4 instead.
I think this is book two, they don’t seem to have numbers on them O_o

2 Likes

So, I’m curious if this book/connected anime would be kid appropriate? It looks like it would be a good manga to practice my Japanese reading to my kids. They like to watch Chi’s Sweet Home. I’m really struggling to cultivate my children’s Japanese skills. They like to look at the picture books I’ve bought, watch Youtube videos of vocabulary and shorts like Chi, but they will not interact with me in Japanese.

I mean, I need all the reading help I can get, so I’m interested in joining a book club. Just have to justify spending the ducats at this point. :wink:

I would think so. For what I’ve seen it looks very cute and innocent.

1 Like

I don’t see any chapter name in my version. In the last chapter (28) they are reading a magazine called “Furafura Walker”

Jupp! It’s in book two!

1 Like

ok… So the first 20 chapters are in book 1 of the old print, and cahpters 21-28 in book 2?

2 Likes

Jupp, looks like it. So those with the old versions need both 1 and 2 if we are to read all the chapters of the new versions.

As far as I’ve seen, there are many who got only first of new, and many who are trying to or already have all of old, so it would seem that most have “all the chapters”. I could be wrong, but this have been my impression. (also, some got all of the new, but that is just bonus :wink: )

Lets ask?

What do you have? (not sure which version the eBook is though…)
If you have some but not all, click on the “full set” just to indicate anyway I guess, as only first two is needed

• Only first of Old
  • Only first of New
  • Complete set

0 voters

In case you need it, this is new version:

This is the old version:

3 Likes

I have Shirokuma Cafe Today’s Special, which I guess is a different series entirely.

5 Likes

Yes, those 2 are a separate series from the original one. I also bought them thinking it was the original series. Now I have 7 volumes in total and no regrets.

4 Likes

My collection is incomplete O_o
*adds to list

3 Likes

As far as I can remember the most inappropriate thing in the anime is a drunk penguin in one episode, and he wakes up with a headache.

So Id say its pretty kid appropriate.

1 Like

And there was one episode that was surprisingly sad and I was crying more than I should have. That one is not save for kids and adults alike, if you ask me :wink:

But given that I also cried when watching Finding Nemo or Up and both of those are kid friendly… I think it is a very save choice for kids and they will enjoy it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

I will make sure to watch the anime and read the book without them first, but I definitely appreciate the input as to whether or not it was worth investing the time. :slight_smile: I’ve ordered the bis version, book one. Hopefully it arrives before we start as I picked a used one from Amazon US.

1 Like

is this version good enough for the club?

You have 20 chapters out of the 28

That is the old version. You would be missing a few chapters at the end compared to the new version. You would find those missing chapters in volume 2.

That’s because:
Old version: 5 volumes
New version: 4 volumes

Get this poll linked in the OP?

1 Like

Can we make a google calendar calendar so I can subscribe with the schedule and all that?

3 Likes