しろくまカフェ Vol 1: Absolute Beginner Book Club

I may have missed it, and if so, my apologies, but is there a poll of which version we’re using for the book club (original, bis, ebook, etc)? I believe we had something similar for the Beginner bookclub.

Mm maybe not Absolute Absolute Beginner, but I’d say N5-N4 level beginner.
I tried reading it maybe a year or two ago and had no luck but I’m able to read it now, so it depends on your vocab.
However, if you can read the previews, the rest of the book should be fine.

1 Like

I’m in the UK too! I’ve just ordered it here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/409167030X/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s the old version but I haven’t been able to find the new one and it seems they’re actually the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh nice! And the same level :slight_smile: I’ve got one in the basket, might as well just pay the few dollars shipping. To be honest I think I’m goong to struggle to follow it anyway but here’s hoping!

We are doing the “bis” because it’s the reprint and the original it’s no longer available, but they are both the same. The ebook should be also good as we will do X chapters/week

1 Like

Whenever there are differences we just try to be on the same page :wink:
There are already a mix of what version people have.
Go for the one you like best or find cheapest =P

2 Likes

Aha, found it by adding “bis” to the search term. No idea why it got no results without it.

Aaaand it’s out of stock…

1 Like

I asked mainly just because I was curious.

I’ve already bought the original one (bought it a year or two ago before I was able to read it) because I liked the design on the cover better. I think that and the bis version were the same price at the time from CDJapan.

I’m looking forward to starting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am trying to find all 5 on CD Japan but I can’t seem to find #5. Am I missing it?

I am seriously thinking of paying the extra $$$ to get all 5 of the old volumes because I think the covers are so cute, but if I find all 5 new ones then I might be practical and get those instead.

Yeah, it is always good to check. I did the same in intermediate today myself (asked if there are differences before choosing which to buy)

Just glancing at some of the pages here I’m seeing some more advanced grammar than what absolute beginners to Japanese might be ready for (e.g. saw ばかり which is N3 level), but it looks like a decently good manga to start on for people just starting out on reading material meant for native readers?

The book seems like it might be about on my level so I think I’ll join in on this reading club!

1 Like

I’m excited! I haven’t had a chance to properly read anything so maybe with others I can get pushed in the right direction

1 Like

Curious. Kinokuniya is also only showing four volumes of the bis version. Did the original get re-released in fewer volumes, or did they just never bother with volume five?

I read something about they took a break because of the anime. But maybe it was for the old print and not the new one

Aye, that was the old one. The hiatus was in mid-2012, but the bis version was released in 2014.

First time getting to read anything! Very excited to join :grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

I’ll probably be around level 10 by then. I’m in~

2 Likes

I just picked up my copy at Kinokuniya! I adored the anime and I think this is a good level of reading for me.

1 Like

Exactly the same! I didn’t much fancy reading this one - but I ordered it anyway and am now looking forward to it! And yes, thank you emucat!

Oh, and lots of people in Japan in the spring, we could have a book-club meet-up here!

http://www.shirokumacafe.net/.en/

8 Likes

Oh what!? I just got back from Japan. I didn’t realise there was a real Shirokuma cafe! I would have totally gone.

3 Likes

I decided to join after I saw the preview page and some clips of the anime. Just purchased all 4 volumes, hopefully it will arrive on time.

1 Like