けんこうしんだん in kanji?

I’m at Level 11 and had my health check today. My wife told me it’s けんこうしんだん in Japanese and I was pleased with myself because I thought I recognized all the kanji: けん (研) means study, こう (行) means carry out, しん (身 means body and だん (談) means discuss. But I got it all wrong: it’s 健康診断 and I haven’t met any of those kanji. Gee, this is hard work!

6 Likes

見 (view) 効 (result) 心 (heart/mind) 男 (man)

見効心男 (けんこうしんだん)

View the results of a man’s mind.
Mental health check. /s

But yeah, considering the amount of readings of kanji there are, it’s pretty tough to get all the kanji for a phrase correct on the first try.

9 Likes

Both 健康 and 診断 are taught in WaniKani so you can look forward to them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s that combination that does it, typing it all out gave one suggestion when converting it. As opposed to separate kanji put together.

1 Like

That’s wonderful - very clever and very funny, you’ve cheered me up no end. Arigatou.

1 Like

Here’s my new けんこうしんだん word.

犬交親男 - Dogs are man’s best friend

6 Likes

拳孔新弾

4 Likes

剣光神弾

4 Likes

Thanks, you clever people. I had realised by now how many similar sounding individual kanji there are, now I can see that even with four kanji together there can still be plenty of ambiguity. Oh what fun awaits me.

Please keep in mind that most of the examples offered in jest aren’t real words that exist in Japanese, but rather playful kanji combinations

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.