から: Is it love?

I have a sentence I don’t fully understand:

誰でもいいから恋愛したい。
Translation given: I want to fall in love, I don’t care with whom.

Does から have another function apart from cause or reason? I don’t see how ‘anyone will do’ can be a cause or reason for wanting to fall in love.

Just a guess, but might it mean “from”?

“I don’t care from who, I just want love?”

Not at all sure though :slight_smile:

You’re pretty much I right here, I would say.

“anyone will do” isn’t a direct reason for wanting to fall in love. It’s more that since anyone will do there’s no previous step before simply falling in love. I don’t know that there’s any sort of separate grammar point on this, since I feel its pretty much the usual usage, just in a slightly different context.

Adding to that, you could probably also translate this something like “I don’t care who with, I just want to fall in love”

から here is used more as part of an expression, but the meaning is closer to “because” than “from” in this case. But it’s still not exactly “because”.

You hear it a lot, especially “いいから”, in anime and dramas.

いいから早速来てよ!
I don’t care/never mind, get over here immediately!

If you were to translate “いいから” literally, it would be something like “it’s fine”, with the implied meaning that “I don’t care about what you were just telling me”. This is a bit different to the original sentence however.

So in the original sentence, 誰でもいいから could be translated as “anyone is fine”.

1 Like

Hello everyone.

Hello.

Thanks everyone. いいから being a a set phrase makes sense now.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.