うちはは を なめるな!- My Level 60 Post

Introduction

So… As I was getting closer and closer to Level 60 I got really excited to write a post saying that I finally reached the end, but now that I’ve made it - on February 6th to be exact - I have actually no idea what to write.
(Edit: As you can see I was able to come up with something, hah)

I don’t have an amazing story to share like a lot of other people on here and I’m not sure if I have the nerve to list all of the scripts and tools and books I’ve been using along the way.

For the sake of keeping this “relatively short” I will write some text and post a few graphs and statistics regarding my process down below.

About my process

I started WaniKani in June 2016 (back in ye olde days when the forum wasn’t hosted on Discourse yet!) and I guess I can say I’ve been on team „taking it slow“ from the get-go. It took me about two years and seven months to complete WK. There’s been four more or less big gaps where I didn’t level up for a while - one of those times was during my stay in Australia and New Zealand when I put WaniKani on vacation mode, and the other one was because of a surgery I had in October 2018. So I probably could have finished a little earlier if real life didn’t happen, but oh well. After discovering the Reorder Script about halfway through I found a pretty good and consistent pace for me and just stuck with that, knowing it would eventually get me to the finish line as well.

It wasn’t always easy, it certainly wasn’t always fun and there were times when the huge wall of Kanji and Vocab I had yet to tackle intimidated and exhausted me, making me feel like I could never finish what I started. But I stuck to it, I kept being persistent because I wanted to prove to myself that it was doable and that kept me going. If I noticed things were too overwhelming I stopped doing lessons or only did a couple of them and that helped tremendously. Sometimes it was just a „clear reviews“ day and that was enough. Knowing your limits and listening to your body when it’s stressed out = nice. :ok_hand:t2:

Cool stats and graphics

Click me

process

stats1

stats2

(I didn’t find out about those charts above until like late 2017 so it’s not my entire progress)

And a cool gif to finish it off (again I didn’t know about the wallpaper generator until Level 28):

Sources

What now?

I’ve got a couple of still unread light novels and manga lying around which I intend to read, a huge collection of doujinshi because I’m a nerd and I definitely need to step up my grammar game. Setting myself a new goal with the JLPT might be a great motivator, too. Other than that I can finally yell „I’m freeeeee!“ :raised_hands:t2:

Last but not least I want to thank the Tofugu staff and the WaniKani community (despite me being more of a lurker than an active participant). I’ve had a great time here and will certainly stick around, not only for the upcoming Shirokuma Cafe book club or Terrace House gossip. :smile:

Still sad that we didn’t roll that 6,6,6,6,6,6 for real … RIP WaniMekani.

With that being said though…

「...... ありがとう」

0bbea61980fb6ca8bf973ace59ca34f6

30 Likes

Woooot, congratulations! :tada:

The crabigator is proud :crabigator: also I only rolled the dice a couple of times but I feel you on that sadness :sob:

I love reading these posts :grin:

3 Likes

You call yourself member of the “Team Slow”, but I’d say that leveling up every 14 days is pretty good! That’s what, 10 lessons/day? Once we think of that number outside of the WK/SRS world, it’s incredible how much better we’re able to do.

Cheers to what’s next! :beer: :tada: :crabigator:

5 Likes

Congratz!

I’m looking forward to seeing you in the shirokuma club :wink:

2 Likes

Yep! I used to do 10 lessons a day for a while then made that 12 later on to make things a liiittle bit faster. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Which?! :eyes:

Uhh… :eyes::sweat_drops: … … … … … … Really lame Naruto light novels and a couple volumes of the manga.

Besides those I bought the first volume of Death Note as eBook as well as Shirokuma Cafe for the book club in March. Will give me a lot of content to work with for the upcoming months years

I also probably should finish Ace Attorney at some point, it’s really fun in Japanese but was kind of exhausting after a while so I put it on hold.

3 Likes

Haha, no judgement here! :blush: just always interested to see what people are reading.

Is that the Ace Attorney game, or one of the many spin-off media?

1 Like

Yeah the games! They remade the trilogy into one for Nintendo DS and it comes in both English and Japanese language settings which is pretty nice.

Oh, nice! I’d really like to try playing some games in Japanese, but finding ones with good language options seems a bit tricky.

1 Like

Thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Congratulations on hitting 60!

Totally feel you on WaniMekani.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Hopefully I’ll get there some day. In the meantime, what does this mean?

うちはは-を-なめるな!

Do you mean うちの母をなめるな? If so, then why would I want to lick your mother. Is there something about her that makes her incredibly lickable? Please share. Or do you mean not to make fun of her? Or something else entirely because I asked a native Japanese speaker since I was confused and they had no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Edit:
I see you typing right now. Too late! I figured it out. It’s your name lol!

1 Like

Lmao no, it’s a play on words and of course doesn’t make any sense to anyone outside. Sasuke Uchiha said “Don’t underestimate the Uchiha” a lot, like うちはを舐めるな。And my username is Uchihaha (like the laugh “haha” because I thought it was funny). So what I’m saying is “Don’t underestimate Uchihaha a.k.a. me!” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yup I put it together as you were typing. lol
I’d imagine you don’t want anyone licking your mother either though.

3 Likes

Definitely not lol

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.