いいんじゃない! why does this mean " thats great!"?

On imabi the translation for いいんじゃない! is ‘Thats great!’ There is another sentence that I thought would have a similar meaning to it - いい んじゃないですか 。which imabi translates to ‘isn’t that fine’. I thought いいんじゃない! would translate to something like ‘isn’t that good?’ too, but I’m having trouble understanding why it means “thats great” here and would appreciate some help in understand this.

4 Likes

That’s just a matter of interpretation, it’s pretty versatile and can be used to portray emotional responses too — maybe check out Maggie Sensei’s explanation and examples to help solidify it in your mind a bit more

4 Likes

There are multiple reasons to translate something. There are literal translations and natural ones.

I don’t think I hear “isn’t that good” very often at all in English in the way the Japanese mean it there with the exclamation mark. But “that’s great” is normal.

Sometimes a translation is just “the thing said in the same circumstances in another language” and not a word for word swap.

And the reason for imabi’s translation being different could be as simple as the missing exclamation mark.

6 Likes

In my experience (as a native English speaker in California), saying “Isn’t that great?” pretty much means “That’s great!”

2 Likes

i’d translate it depending on context. it could be as simple as “that’s all right, isn’t it”.
there’s no one correct way to translate japanese into english.

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.