「虎」 Vocab Context Sentence Question

I am not sure if I just don’t grasp the full use of the particle を (and I think thats a possibility), but the context sentence for 虎 struck me as a little off with the two close を usages.

The sentence is:
“恐い虎の顔が描かれたお揃いのTシャツを着たカップルが、今目の前を腕を組みながら歩いています。
A couple in matching T-shirts that have scary tigers on them are walking arm in arm in front of me right now.”

Is the 「目の前を」good or would 「目の前に」or 「目の前で」be better? I know that を can be used to be like “walking around the park” (公園を歩く)

I think the sentence is pretty clear what を refers to what verb.
目の前を歩く - seems grammatically correct, but obviously the
simple choice is to go with: 目の前に

を in this context refers to “on” or “in” since 歩く is a intransitive verb the を particle acts a bit different. ( Which you probably already know )

So 目の前を歩く , means they would be walking in the space in front of my eyes, in particular.

Here’s a nice resource for checking these things: http://nlt.tsukuba.lagoinst.info/headword/V.00102/

For verbs of movement, you can use を to indicate the space where the movement occurs. For flying you can say 空を飛ぶ to indicate flying through the sky. For swimming, 湖を泳ぐ etc

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.