Your worst typos WaniKani has accepted

Hmmm… Well, its close enough for your typo system, but my Japanese teacher says that its not close enough for Japanese. Good thing this isn’t a Japanese learning tool or anything!

Here’s another one that’s “close enough”

2 Likes

Dead serious question, @Mods, could Wanikani just build a personal account option to turn off the typo checking? I’m happy to get dinged for making a typo if it means I won’t be validated for so many wrong guesses.

1 Like

Is that how the algorithm works? Any four characters can be switched and it marks it as correct?

Because if “triangle” is accepted as “angle” then couldn’t “non-smoking” be accepted as “smoking” and vice versa?

Basically, yes. I think it’s not exactly four, but four is the smallest number (if the word gets very long, the number gets higher). Also for words that are 4 characters or less, there is no mercy…

Factory instead of victory
concluding instead of including
confusion instead of conclusion
touring instead of to ring
bead instead of head

4 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough Looks like you actually do get some mercy for four letter words…

Oh my bad. Then it was 3-letter words that come without built-in mercy :wink:

1 Like

That sounds right. It didn’t accept WNI instead of WIN.

1 Like

HA I KNEW IT @NicoleIsEnough @Mods

2 Likes

WaniKani just accepted “Impatience” for 辛抱, instead of “Patience”… And I think I ended up burning it… :expressionless: Anyways, that’s a candidate for the blacklist.

4 Likes

lol

4 Likes

11 Likes

May the Might be with you! :joy_cat:

3 Likes

Dunno what I was smoking while typing this.

9 Likes

I was on autopilot and didn’t do it on purpose but it did give me a giggle.

8 Likes

I wrote “polished rice” for 玄米 instead of “unpolished rice” and it was still accepted. Another for the blacklist~

4 Likes

(@Mods)

(Character requirement.)

1 Like

1 Like

Not a typo but a correct answer :joy_cat: See 伝達 - Jisho.org

1 Like

I’m not sure how often people are mistaking this one for “to be separated” but since it’s similar enough to 割れる, I can add it to the block list.

Added “triangle” to the block list.

We mostly hear requests to expand our typo forgiveness options but this may be something we’d want to consider in the future.

Ah, we had all of these on the block list but didn’t have “nonsmoking.”
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 4.56.23 PM

Added this to the block list.

7 Likes