hmm

which moneth are you?
Aw Y

7 Likes

fist time XD

@Mods probably black list conform on 楽?

4 Likes

I’ve had so many funny typos with that word
but every time I screenshot for here, I forget and lose it by copying something else

2 Likes

I typed in this answer as a pure guess and did a double take when it came up right, then got really confused when I looked at the info for it. @Mods - should this one be blocked? I don’t know that anyone else would make such a bizarre guess on that one, because looking at this and everything that actually comes up for retire, there aren’t many similarities, but I figured I’d ask :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Seeing as we don’t teach conform on WaniKani, I don’t think there is any risk that people would be making that mistake (other than typos) so I don’t think it’s all that necessary to add it the blocklist. Thanks for the heads up though.

As we do teach To Retire though, I’ll add it to the blocklist for 締結する just in case.

5 Likes

Sounds like “anguirus” from the Godzilla franchise

1 Like

8 Likes

I don’t speak English, so I checked a little – Mountain pass - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Yah, a mountain pass is 峠, which the Japanese Wikipedia defines as “峠とは、山道を登りつめてそこから下りになる場所。” (emphasis mine), so there’s at least that connection there. :slightly_smiling_face:

Almost pondering if it’s worth adding to the block list. (Though, that naturally wouldn’t also catch “moutain pass”. :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

登山道 page doesn’t have English equivalent, and it’s also that I don’t really understand that English word

So, I looked up in Goo.

山脈中で周囲の頂より低い地形の場所 の意

I might accept my defeat here.

2 Likes

I think this wrong is unacceptable (blocklist?)

5 Likes

I agree. @Mods why is the kanji meaning blocked??

4 Likes

Hey DIO-Berry and @polv! I just checked this particular item and both ‘each’ and ‘every’ have a ‘Oops, we want the radical meaning, not the kanji meaning’ warning, which means that you will get a grey shake. If you happen to add either of these as user synonyms, the system will subsequently mark ‘each’ and ‘every’ as incorrect.

The solution is to remove the user synonym. We are working on ways to better address this issue moving forward! Thank you in advance for your patience on this one! :slight_smile:

-Nick at WK

No offense intended, but even making it a shake instead of an allow implies that the system would rather have users learn WaniKani’s arbitrary mnemonics (I love the team’s work, I think you all do a great job) instead of actual Japanese. The way the system is now for this particular bit prioritizes WK’s eccentricities over actual Japanese and I just want to point that out, especially given that WK’s goal is to help users read Japanese.

6 Likes

Plus, having the system respond with “well, I was planning to give you a close-but-no-cigar response, but since you’ve told me I have to accept it, now I’m not gonna” is an… interesting bug. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

No offense taken @DIO-Berry! :slightly_smiling_face: Feedback is always welcome, as long as you’re nice and don’t hurt my feelings! :face_holding_back_tears: We are trying to figure out a way to respect our grey shake function while trying to make sure we allow the user to add synonyms that will help them learn.

Since this particular item is a radical I am sure that ‘each’ and ‘every’ was grey listed to make sure the user learned the English name ‘kiss’ in service of the mnemonics, so in this case, I don’t think the actual Japanese applies here, since it isn’t a kanji or a vocabulary subject, but let me know if I am missing something or I misinterpreted what you wrote.

It’s quite the petty bug! :beetle:

4 Likes

Nah. It would make one more thing to remember; just to be failed around Enlightened or more. I believe not so few people don’t use mnemonics, or barely use them; and I don’t think Radical meaning can be found outside Wanikani, in the wild, either.

In other words, if someone doesn’t use scripts, and add some warning synonyms; they are already out in the next few weeks or months.

お楽しみに。

3 Likes

This one tickled me inexplicably (for some reason my brain keeps reading it as ‘photogarphed’

5 Likes

8 Likes