Your worst typos WaniKani has accepted

1. “to forget” was accepted as “to prohibit”. Turns out that was because I had added “to forbid” as a synonym. Spellcheck should probably not be so lenient for user synonyms (it should probably be turned off)

2. “in ~ years” instead of “for ~ years”. These are almost exact antonyms but the response I got was "We don’t have another vocabulary word for ‘in years’ so I’m not going to add it to the block list.

Does anyone else report these directly to Wanikani? They’ve been really dismissive of me when I do so.

Also, having an answer be incorrectly accepted is a huge mess for your learning, as that card could be kicked off for a really long time. It would be really easy to add a button after the answer for “Actually, I got that wrong” and have it just marked as a single incorrect answer instead of having to reset it entirely. Or just an undo that cancels your last answer and puts the card back in the deck.

1 Like

4 Likes

“a bit off”, hm, yes. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

For about three whole levels I thought 不足 was “storage” instead of “shortage”… WaniKani kept saying my answer was just a bit off, but still accepted it, even though I’d say those are completely different words. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Added “to break” to the block list.

Added “dish cloth” to the block list for 雑巾 and “dust cloth” for the block list of 布巾.

We get a ton of emails, chats, and forum tags per day about suggestions, some of which we accept and some of which we don’t. The response we gave was that we didn’t have any other words on WaniKani where the meaning was “in years,” so we didn’t know how many people would confuse it as that, but if we heard similar requests, we would consider changing it. This is also a response that we have given other users as well, depending on the decision we’ve reached and the reason for it. As I mentioned, we don’t want this to discourage you from sharing other suggestions, so let us know if you have any others :+1:

For this particular word (〜年来), I can see your point more clearly now, and since it could be misunderstood, I’ll go ahead and add “in years” to our block list.

Added “storage” to the block list.

6 Likes

Yah, “monarchy” is 王国. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

託す accepts “to trust”

2 Likes

@Mods

1 Like

3 Likes

16 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realize that. I’ll get “monarchy” added to the block list since it’s just the reverse of this jukugo.

Added “to trust” to the block list for 託す.

Because “hinder” is taught one level away, we’ll get this added to the block list.

Huh, odd! Seems like our gray shake feature is getting confused here. I’ll let the team know about this one.

3 Likes

I guess I confused it (ばめん) with 画面 (がめん)

2 Likes

Took me a bit to find this thread, ahah. Still not sure if all I found fits the thread, but here I go -

Maybe block this one? I have no idea why I wrote go for the reading but oh well, it still got marked as correct :rofl:

There was one more that I did not manage to screenshot, but I forgot what it was :woman_facepalming:

Also, quick question (since I honestly don’t know where else to ask) - for 苛める, there is an additional meaning of to torment highlighted in purple in the meaning explanation, however it is not listed as a synonym. Was this intentional?

One of my funniest mishaps happened with the “western style something” type word:

I somehow managed to fumble the meaning on the easier part for me and was quite surprised it still passed. I guess the ‘oo’ saved me there :slight_smile:

Also, another one for the records is me typing “Twenty-second floor” for “forty-second floor” and still getting marked as accepted. Not sure how I got that idea, that was just brain slip. Unfortunately, I don’t have a screenshot of that one, but I remember it happening and facepalming right after.
A little bit off is only 20 floors away :smiley:

7 Likes

Caused by a keyboard swype error.

4 Likes

This is why we shorten it down to “sus” these days

14 Likes

I’m so sorry

16 Likes

Forgot the reading, so I entered “a” as I usually do when I don’t know the answer:

I remembered the right answer after this.

2 Likes