Your WaniKani Level VS Your JLPT Level

No no, just the ~6000 Kanken level 1 kanji are enough.

3 Likes

If your primary goal is reading then kanji probably will be more important which I already said. But I think ā€˜betterā€™ is completely subjective when based on an individualā€™s goal. When Iā€™m trying to listen and speak, no one cares how many kanji I know or JLPT level because itā€™s completely irrelevant. Iā€™ve known various native Japanese who scored high in TOEIC or could publish scientific paper but painfully struggled with basic conversation. Even my early first attempts with Japanese, I decided to start with writing in a kanji workbookā€¦it was totally backwards when my immediate goals were communication.

I can say that WK alone has contributed only a small fraction toward direct communication improvement given the time invested. Itā€™s certainly helped towards better outside vocab acquisition, then reading and then better writing and if I can get towards productive methods, I will speak and listen better. Reading while listening has helped as well but these are all additional study steps outside of kanji study. On the other hand, grammar development has been instrumental for alot of communication needs for speaking/listening along with reading/writing.

Itā€™s a polarizing opinion question to begin with though. As you said, itā€™s all necessary.

Kanken 1 is just the beginning of your Japanese adventure

7 Likes

Until wanikani at least, better N1. That was what I meant with all of themā€¦I know theyā€™re are not ā€œall all all allā€ all of them :slightly_smiling_face:. My mistake English is not my mother tongue and I tend to not elaborate to much. But I thought it was obvious N1 were what I intended and not more obscure ones that Japanese native study after high school if they study themā€¦
Any less and I really donā€™t think you can be a well rounded and functional adult. You could have difficulties reading documentsā€¦You canā€™t read journals even if you are a japanese and speak Japanese for exampleā€¦
And I donā€™t think someone which is not native can learn a fluent japanese without knowing wanikani kanji at least. You donā€™t get to read native materials and you canā€™t learn over a certain level. I learnt this myself after my degree. Thatā€™s my opinion and of course everyone can disagree but I think that learning N1 at least is of the utmost importance. We didnā€™t learn japanese as a kid and we canā€™t learn japanese the same way and without being able to read.

It all depends on what peopleā€™s goals are. You can reach a pretty darn high level of spoken and listening proficiency without much reading ability at all, depending on how you are learning.

If you donā€™t mind that youā€™ll need to pull out your phone to translate stuff occasionally, I can see some people who live in Japan not really caring that they canā€™t read documents that well. They might not have any interest in reading newspapers.

If that makes them ā€œnot well-rounded,ā€ but theyā€™re doing fine the 99% of the rest of the time they arenā€™t at some kind of government office, I donā€™t really see that as a pressing issue

3 Likes

I think then it all depends on how you define a high levelā€¦how can they learn the plus 10 thousand words you need to be fluent (at least) without reading? I really have never seen someone speaking fluent japanese (and with fluent I donā€™t intend small chat but speaking about every topic) without being literate. They donā€™t make children study N1 kanji for a hobbyā€¦you are pretty limited without it like an illiterate one would be limited in my country without reading and writing Italian. And even in our mother tongue, it ā€˜s pretty obvious when you listen to someone if that someone has a habit of reading or not and how muchā€¦if you donā€™t read you have a pretty limited vocabulary and way to express yourself even if you talk this language since when you were a little kid. And we havenā€™t had that level of exposure to the language.
Of course If you intend you can go to buy food and games and work (a job when you donā€™t need to read and write) maybe you can do thatā€¦but you could do that in English also. I believe that to be fluent is another matter.

• WaniKani Level: 3 (I was previously lvl 10)
  • JLPT Level: Iā€™d say Iā€™m around N5 but my grammarā€™s weaker than Iā€™d like vnv
  • Resources/Materials: I havenā€™t finished any one resource, but Iā€™m currently doing WaniKani, Torii SRS for core 10k (excluding WK vocab), and Mango Languages for listening/speaking practice (speaking has been the hardest for me since Iā€™m learning completely by myself vnv)
  • Your Next Goal: I really want to enroll in a Japanese course this spring. I think I could benefit from a more structured learning environment as well as meeting and interacting with other learners in person (Iā€™m terrified of going to any kind of meetup right now dfghj). Iā€™d also like to settle on a source of grammar lessons. Iā€™m coming back from a hiatus so Iā€™ve half forgotten half already learned a bunch of stuffā€¦ supplemental sources are always great, but I need to settle on a main source to followā€¦

Thatā€™s quite a bold statement. I donā€™t think thereā€™s any solid evidence on that. Thereā€™s been studies that the ability to be able to speak without an accent diminishes as you get older but you can get pretty darn good otherwise even as an adult if you can immerse yourself. You can learn ā€œperfectā€ grammar without ever opening a grammar book, even as an adult.

I was talking about this with someone the other day. I think the biggest thing holding back adults is anxiety and unwillingness to make mistakes (putting aside lack of immersion for many people), not innate ability to learn.

6 Likes

And the fact that hardly ever as an adult you can get in an environment where you only really speak the language you are learning. Even then you are constantly juggling other responsibilities in your native tongue.

3 Likes

I have no idea how you see ā€œfluencyā€ but lots of people have become fluent without reading. You can do it through being immersed in the language. Itā€™s not the most convenient, or efficient, way, but it can be done.

I can read quite well, but speaking isnā€™t really my strong suit. I wish I had better fluidity of speech. Thatā€™s often what people imagine when they talk about fluency. Knowing 10000 words and 2000 kanji will not make the words flow out of your mouth. Thatā€™s a separate process anyway.

3 Likes

Iā€™m quite sure the evidence is children develope languages in a different way if they learn them under or above 3 years. The way language works in our brains is literally different. Clearly there are adults speaking perfectly two or three languages but the all thing about learning from immersion without reading I donā€™t believe is scientific based. Of course immersion is necessary and thatā€™s why reading native material is importantā€¦but There is evidence about the importance of +1 learning not +1000 and you became fluent just by listening to unknown words as an adultā€¦
I can suggest reading this interesting book for example: ā€œan introduction to bilingual developmentā€ by Annick de Houwer. Children learn differently even in different ages, adults are obviously a lot more different.

Definitely funnier to imagine a new kanji being invented, which causes all Japanese readers to suddenly be plunged into illiteracy until they get the memo.

Waiting patiently to get that new kanji out of the apprentice level so they can read street signs, menus, etc.

5 Likes

Yes, this was a completely accurate depiction of what I was describing.

Did you ever share your details? Whatā€™s your JLPT level out of curiosity?

nope I didnā€™t :sweat_smile: Iā€™m just starting to live the community hereā€¦Iā€™ve studied all kanji and Iā€™m SRSing all KKLC with Anki at the moment and Iā€™ve started N1 grammar but I really really need more vocabularyā€¦I think Iā€™m about N3-N2 in terms of that now. I graduated in Japanese in college but Iā€™ve worked for several years now in a different line of interest (my first degree) and so I lost a lotā€¦Iā€™m trying to get back in track and get better. At college they used to teach really a low number of kanji and vocabulary and I feel like this was a serious hindrance to progress towards what I think to be fluencyā€¦this is the reason behind my words also. Since I started again Iā€™ve been learning more kanji, vocabulary and grammar and I can now read (the most) and listen to something (very simple) native and I feel like Iā€™m really getting better everydayā€¦
Iā€™m in not in a hurry to try a test at the moment but Iā€™ll try N1 when I will feel like I could pass itā€¦

2 Likes

Are you saying blind people canā€™t become fluent in Japanese? I know people who would disagree.

6 Likes

Ummā€¦ ē‚¹å­— is a thing.

Not that I wanna get involved, just. You know.

The article on ę¼¢ē‚¹å­— is actually really interesting.

8 Likes
  • WaniKani Level: 4 - Been signed on since 2017, but things kept getting in the way. Now thatā€™s taken care of, I started doing it seriously from level 2 at the end of last year
  • JLPT Level: N/A - Havanā€™t taken it yet.
  • Resources/Materials: Genki I with workbook: Chapter 4 currently. Genki II with workbook: havenā€™t started. Human Japanese: Finished. Human Japanese Intermediate: Do it on break at work - Chapter 5 currently.
  • Your Next Goal: My current goal is to finish my Genki books. My Overall goal is to take the JLPT N5 exam at the end of the year.
1 Like

The person I know is using ē‚¹å­—, but I donā€™t know if it includes ę¼¢ē‚¹å­—. Based on their age and the fact that the article mentions it was still in development in the early 1990s, they probably didnā€™t learn it in school :thinking: Iā€™ve seen them use their computer though. A synthetic voice reads out everything they mouse over. It was really interesting to see.
(Itā€™s also completely beside the point, but hey).

1 Like

Are they native or not?
If theyā€™re native, yes they can, even if you can usually say if someone read a lot or not. Iā€™m a teacher myself and I can assure you, at high school level became most evident even if a native read books and his friend does not. Construction of the phrase and vocabulary varies a lot.

If theyā€™re not native, it would be very difficult to be fluent, I would like to state also that very rare exception are what the word infersā€¦very rare exception. Iā€™m really curious at why so many people fail at becoming proficiency in Japanese if you compare that to other languages if not for the kanji barrier, which stop students to attack early in studies native material. What a pity they donā€™t know they can do without read and get proficiency anyway. And Iā€™m most curious to know why people here try to get to 60ā€¦they can be fluent without. I strongly disagree Iā€™m sorryā€¦