Your first Kanji

The first kanji a learned was 大. It was back when I was in middle school. Our geography teacher had a life changing trip to Japan and did a special class after coming back to share the excitement.

Of course, she didn’t tell us the reading but I still remember the meaning because the kanji looks like a person trying to grab something large and extending their arms all the way out.

I later borrowed a book about Japan from that teacher. It was pretty interesting, though I don’t remember anything from the book except for how fast Shinkansen are.

(Back then I would’ve never guessed I that I’d be able speak Japanese as an adult)

4 Likes

I don’t really remember my first kanji, but the first one I really remember being proud of being able to write was , and I’d basically only write that over and over again when I was little to show off.

1 Like

I think my first exposure to kanji meanings was the
tiny elemental symbols with all Yugioh cards haha!

5 Likes

not sure if it was the first but when it comes what i knew before wanikani. I think it 水

2 Likes

The first that I actually noticed was 日 and 月 for the date in Princess Maker 5 on an unfinished fan translation many years ago, but as others pointed out I would have seen the 亀 in Dragon Ball and various elemental ones in Yu-Gi-Oh on the top right of the card.

3 Likes

I had totally forgot that there was Kanji on those cards. I think my 8 year old brain just thought they were cool symbols :rofl:

5 Likes

Probably 王、玉、飛、角、金、銀、桂、香、歩。

2 Likes

I was in Shanghai and it was district at a mall.

Strawberry panic? :grinning:

2 Likes

Haha good guess. It’s Clannad though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Me too! It was the first I learned, before wanikani but after I started learning Japanese. I was learning words and phrases in kana, but for some reason this came up in passing on one of the sites I was using. No clue why only this kanji and nothing else in Kanji at all… but it stuck with me enough to give me some trouble when I got to it and needed to be answering すい instead of みず (it also is what gave me the courage to try wanikani and learning Kanji despite how difficult it seemed lol)

2 Likes

Long before I learned any Kanji in a class I knew that 木 meant tree and three trees 森 meant forest.

I guess one of the first Kanji I learned in class must have been 食, just because it comes up so often.

The first Kanji I learned outside of the class, when already studying was 待, totally because of Ace Attorney, because I was toying around with the Japanese option (even when my Japanese level was way too low).

1 Like

My Japanese level is still way to low for Ace attorney :sob:

I didn’t understand it then, I don’t understand it now.

Getting to that level, where I would have to really only think about the case, not the language, that’s years away. If I can ever get there.

1 Like

I used this page last time i played the first case so i could look up the vocab faster… :flushed:
(was stuck on the names for sooo long)

今 - I think maybe i heard it in a song & looked it up? but i know i wrote it on everything for a while in high school, incluuuding these shoes lol

WIN_20200705_09_11_23_Pro

4 Likes

OMG haha I did the same with my school bag.

3 Likes

I did that with Katakana, I was obsessed with them, because I found it so cool that you could transcribe everything with them :joy:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.