You never know what Kanji you are going to see

I was reading a book on my lunch break and I saw the word 和尚. When I learned it a few years ago here I thought it was a word I would never use or see anywhere. I also think it’s one of the words that people reference when they say a lot of the words you learn on WaniKani are too obscure.

27 Likes

So I did not have to learn the reading, checkmate WaniKani

31 Likes

Some of the most important parts of language are obscure words you rarely ever see.

6 Likes

I love the rewarding feeling when I finally encounter a rare word “in the wild”, it is much better for me than other achievements that are in an objective sense a thousand times more important. :joy:

9 Likes

What book is this?

MiyaMoto Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa.

7 Likes

Is There ANy SpeCial ReaSon Why You CapitaLise MiyaMoto Like That?

6 Likes

Yup. I’m on my phone and it autocorrected it and then separated the words and I removed the space and didn’t realize it was capital.

9 Likes

I still have the 2 volumes. Great book.

I read them in my own native language and there were several words I didnt even know the meaning, let alone if I would read them in japanese :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In another thread someone mentioned that they did not think they would ever use 緊急事態宣言

8 Likes

They are correct. 緊急事態宣言 is not used by individual persons, it’s used by government agencies, such as municipal or prefectural government agencies in charge of situations such as the pandemic, earthquake, etc.

1 Like

I meant more ‘did not think they would read it in the wild more than once a year’ :slight_smile:

And suddenly you find yourself locked up with your family and your kids favourite game is playing “disinfection” and yelling 緊急事態宣言 all the day with a transceiver. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

“感染防止? Why would I ever need to know 感染防止?”

4 Likes

Last year, I saw 里心 in two different books in succession. That word used to be the poster child of “words you’ll never find in the wild”, but the WK team has now removed it. Sad.

4 Likes

I’ve seen this word a few times. It is rare but it does come up in books.

1 Like

'Tis known as CamelCase.

2 Likes

PlantRon

9 Likes

I love when that happens. I’m still not on that level when it’s about Japanese, but it does happen to me in English and I get happy

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more on that! The other day I was forcing myself to read some Kanjis on my iPhone where sometimes (not always) I set Japanese language to. It was a weirdly rewarding experience to, after some initial pain, be able to read something like 集中モード… Very simple yet rewarding experience!

1 Like