夜カフェ ☕ Chapter 3 (Beginner Book Club)

夜カフェ Book Club - Chapter 3

Start date current chapter: 16 April 2022
Previous chapter: Chapter 2
Next chapter: Chapter 4
Home thread: 夜カフェ Book Club Home Thread
BBC Home thread: Beginner Book Club

image 240x370, 75%

We are reading the first volume of 夜カフェ as the Beginner Book Club!.
This thread is for chapter related discussion. We are reading together from the aforementioned date on, but this thread will be kept open mu~ch longer (like 10 years longer). So don’t be shy to ask questions even if you are late to the party :heart:

Vocabulary List

Feel free to add any words you looked up as well! Page numbers may be off by one or two because of differences between physical and digital editions, but we try to keep the words roughly in order of appearance

The book is also available over at koohi.cafe (formerly known as floflo).

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler] result: texthere
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Participation poll

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to read but haven’t started yet
  • I’m from the future and reading way later
  • I’ve read ahead already/read the book before
  • I’m not reading, just passing by

0 voters

14 Likes

Just read the chapter.

Pg 35

Isn’t it weird that middle school-aged Hanabi uses ちゃん when thinking of 20-year-old Saki? Although maybe she’s just taking Aiko’s lead, since she introduced Saki as Saki-chan.

Story comments

I’m glad Hanabi is cheering up. And Aiko is also pushing her to express herself more, which is great.

Edit: Don’t know why I categorized my question instead of providing a page number lol. Fixed!

5 Likes

Something I don’t think I understood from chapter 2, where exactly is this cafe positioned relative to Aiko-san’s house?

6 Likes

I’m relatively certain it is attached; cafe facing the street, house in the back/upstairs of the cafe. I could be mistaken, though.

5 Likes

So, is it owned by Aiko-san? If so, I don’t know how I missed that

5 Likes

I’m only halfway through chapter 3, but if it is mentioned up to this point that the cafe is owned by Aiko-san I also missed that. I’m quite sure it is part of the house, they are using the cafe for (free?) breakfast, and the cafe has pictures drawn by Aiko-san, but the exact relationship between Aiko-san and the cafe remains unclear to me so far.

5 Likes

I don’t know how common this is in “real life”, but I’ve seen it come up in manga a lot where a shop (especially a cafe) and house are all one unit.

A couple that immediately come to mind are 「ご注文はうさぎですか?」 where the main character moves into a house that has a cafe/bar and 「現代魔女の就職事情」 where the main character’s friend lives in a house with a cafe.

Here's from a scene from the latter where the main character is staying the night at the cafe owner's house and is literally sleeping in the cafe portion.

Series such as these conditioned me to immediately think of Aiko’s place as the same.

10 Likes

agree with you it’s pretty common when it comes to TV Shows especially, even American ones…people often live above the restaurant or bar in the same building… even Midnight Diner he lives above the shop…and don’t think it strays too much from real live either… there are plenty of smaller shops and more family type establishments that are like this…

I can think of quite a few wineries that we have visited where the tasting rooms are on the property but attached to the main living quarters. I was watching My first errand (“Old Enough”) [super adorable] on Netflix and even one of the episodes the dad runs his own sushi shop on the first floor and they live on the 2nd floor. And even a couple of documentaries where the store is directly attached to the home. I think it’s not uncommon once you get out of the big cities.

9 Likes

I’ve certainly seen examples of that in media before, although not personally. I suppose it currently remains a mystery as to whether Aiko-san also owns the attached bar or not, but I’d be a little surprised if she didn’t (or at least if there isn’t another explanation lol)

5 Likes

When Hanabi run away, she started talking (thinking?) about the house. I thought it said that the house used to belong to her grandparents but someone (I guess Aiko) renovated the house and now Aiko lived there by herself. So, I imagined that the first floor was turned into a cafe and the second floor/other rooms would be part of the actual house.

But to be honest, I’m second guessing myself :confounded:

7 Likes

Fwiw, that was the impression I took away from that sentence, also. The house was renovated, part of it is now a cafe, and part of it is a home.

6 Likes

From 「一階の道路に面した部屋で、…」 I assumed it was just one room on the first floor (the one facing the street). But yeah, agreed on the rest!

7 Likes

P37-38

調子くるっちゃうよ- I don’t get this phrase at all!

テーブル席 - is this individual seats, or three tables with seats around it plus another large table with seating? A google search suggests the latter. I’m trying to visualise the interior!

キッチンの流しで、コーヒーコップをふいていた愛子さん

• the multiple possible meanings of 流す and ふく are confusing me here, especially with the の in there.
  • is the second part “wiping coffee cups”?
  • and is she “floating from the kitchen”? Or is she pouring coffee and I have the second bit wrong?

For some reason blur spoiler is not working, however I don’t think it’s a major plot point!!

5 Likes

I think this is the phrase 調子が狂う (second meaning) in the しまう form.

Pretty sure 流し here means sink and you’re right about ふく, so shes wiping coffee cups at the kitchen sink

9 Likes

Thanks - I didn’t realise there was a set phrase, I just searched 調子。

And I was looking for a verb with 流し - ironically I don’t think I’ve ever encountered the word sink in Japanese before!

5 Likes

Thanks for asking about 調子くるっちゃう @Cathm2! I didn’t get that one at all either. And thanks for the answer @pyororon :grin:

And I’ve got a question about a sentence from the end of the chapter.

page 44 (beware, no blur spoilers!)

愛子さん is reassuring ハナビ and says:

パパやママに悪いなんて思わないで、たまには、思いっきりわがまま言っちゃえば? それでケンカになったらなったでいいじゃない。

I couldn’t penetrate this at all until I did the following breakdown, would love folks’ feedback on how I did!

• パパやママに悪いなんて思わないで
    Taking the で as the connective form of the copula だ, since I don’t think Aikosan is ordering Hanabi not to think her parents are bad, I get
    you don’t think papa and mama are bad, so …

• たまには
    once in a while

• 思いっきりわがまま言っちゃえば?
    what if you say something selfish?

• それでケンカになったら
    and if it becomes a fight

• なったでいいじゃない。
    I was initially very confused by the doubled up なるs, and also not sure what the で is doing, but I think this last bit is saying basically
    well if it does then that’s fine, right?

6 Likes

You essentially got it. The first part has a different meaning though:
パパやママ悪いなんて思わないで Your interpretation would need a different particle there. Also the ないで here is more the don’t do while meaning.
I would translate that as Without thinking about being bad to mom and dad, (rest of your translation)”

The end of the sentence also threw me a bit for a loop like yourself but my interpretation of the outcome is the same as yours. I have to dig into the grammar some more how that exactly works though…
EDIT: Seems to be just an N1 grammar point https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/たら~たで-tara-tade-meaning/
〜たら〜で・〜なら〜で|日本語能力試験 JLPT N1 : 絵でわかる日本語

I finished with this weeks reading too. Overall a pretty short read. The writing in the middle somehow felt very choppy though. Around where she went to charge her phone the sentences felt so short and jumpy. I can’t exactly put my finger on it but it just felt like pretty unrefined writing…

It’s the first week I felt like this but that might be because I didn’t have my usual setup and read everything in one gulp without looking anything up. Normaly the lookups and creation bring their own interruptions so I probably haven’t noticed it before. But without my setup reading everything fast it felt a bit meh to me.

6 Likes

Do you mean like, “as long as you’re not trying to be mean to mom and dad”? … Sorry, not sure if I quite understand. :confused:

2 Likes

No I mean without thinking “it is bad” to sometimes say something selfish to mom and dad. Man after reading my translation again I can totally see how you are confused ^^.

Basically don’t feel you are doing something wrong towards mom and dad saying something selfish sometimes. Is the meaning I want to convey -.-

7 Likes

Ohh, I totally get it now! Thanks! :blush:

3 Likes