Yonder Kanji composition

Shouldn’t Yonder 向 consist of 丶Drop and 冋 Mustache? (It now consists of 丶Drop, 冂 Head and 口 Mouth) I though the idea of using composed diacritics was to reduce the number of components. Or is there some difference from 冋 Mustache that I don’t see?

1 Like

Likely they thought they could make a better mnemonic using those components.
Keep in mind the radicals arent in any way official and arent very usefull beyond learning kanji.

1 Like

Why should it? They’ve clearly built their mnemonics on the other pieces. Considering the mnemonic sentence they are trying to use I don’t see how mustache would work?

A drop hits your head and goes into your mouth. Where did it come from? “Ah, it came from yonder,” you say, facing that way.

If you think you have a better mnemonic that works better than what they have then using mustache and drop, feel free to email them, but I don’t exactly see how exactly is this a bug or an error?

1 Like

Why then don’t you create some other mnemonics using these two radicals and add them to your kanji meaning annotations? In the same manner that you can add new meanings to a kanji or vocab., you can add comments/annotations to the meaning/reading pages.

1 Like

Ok, I wasn’t looking at the mnemonics, just the diacriticals

1 Like

Easy: A drop hits your mustache.

Presumably, though, this dates from before the creation of “mustache”, or else before some rearrangement that put “mustache” before this kanji.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.