Ouran High School Host Club 🌸 Chapter 2 - Part 1 (桜蘭高校ホスト部)

Chapter 2 - Part 1

ohshcCover

桜蘭高校ホスト部 :cherry_blossom: Home Thread

Previous Part: Chapter 1 - Part 3
Next Part: Chapter 2 - Part 2

Reading

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 4 Jun 10th Chapter 2 - Part 1 55 - 66 12

Ebook offset seems to be -2. So ebook page 3 is physical 5.

Last panel

Vocabulary List

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

Obs! Do note that the physical version seems to come with zero page numbers (yes, zero, I saw none while flipping through a good portion of the first volume). So alternative means of identifying page might be needed.

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (if you can), and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

3 Likes
Cheat sheet for this week's handwritten text.
Preview Page

image image

image image

image image

Dejected Haruhi First Panel Page

Remember, sometimes the English version is less “direct translation” and more “sound natural in English”.

image image

image image

image image

Second-Half-of-Narration Page

image image

image image

(That’s grass, not bad handwriting.)

image image

Kyoya's Page

image image

image image

image image

Takashi+Honey Continuation Page

image image

image image

image image

image image

image image

Blizzard(?) Page

image image

image image
The translation-interpretations tend to be pretty good in this series, but this panel shows that sometimes things are completely changed. That is to say, you can’t always use the English release to discern the Japanese. (Here line here is, 「は? 雪山登山ですか?」)

One handwritten text this week has 「[name]の君」. I’m not familiar with it, but I think this 君 is similar to:

In context, I imagine it’s a bit like 先輩(せんぱい), but rather than a reference to grade difference, it shows their difference in social standing.

It appeared in chapter 1 as well, but I didn't take notice of it then.

6 Likes
Page 55 / preview page

I don’t really understand the use of わりまし. I saw it meant extra (charge), so I understand that Tamaki is somehow charging extra for the beauty (of Christmas?) But what does the 5割増 mean, that it is five times extra charge? And is he referring to the readers (clients of the club) having to pay the extra charge or is he somehow saying that Haruhi has to pay extra?

3 Likes
page 55

割: 10% so 5割 is 50%
増 means increase

美しさ: beauty
見よ(う): let’s see
I think this sentence is directed to the mangaka.

4 Likes

I think the 「()よ」 is to the reader. Thus Haruhi’s comment about putting pressure on the mangaka to meet the expectation (given to the reader).

3 Likes

That is why I think it is directed to the mangaka:sweat_smile:. At least we can agree on that he is breaking the fourth wall.

2 Likes
Page 65

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 20.38.11

I suck at grammar, so if I understand this panel correctly, she is saying she will make Haruhi her pet (well, her favourite) next? さしあげる is the humble form of to do, right (so in this case ‘to make’)?

3 Likes

I interpreted it that way as well.

3 Likes

Finished this section! Thanks for the cheat sheet @ChristopherFritz! There were a bunch of handwritten bits that I was able to get on my own, which was great, but there were also a bunch I only got with the the help of the translation. That last one would have been no help at all though, wow! I wonder why the translator did that …

4 Likes

Thanks for the cheat sheet, @ChristopherFritz.

I do think a few more are suspect, potentially from how other parts were translated. Also some very much convey the same meaning but phrased differently, making it a good translation, but it might be good to look at the Japanese and figure out how they got there. However, that gets a bit hard if you don’t know how much of a liberty the translation is taking with any one comment.

Some liberty but same meaning (Dejected Haruhi First Panel Page)

お客と思ってポジショニングしちゃったよ
The English translation makes that: “We had ourselves all set to greet a customer.”
More literal would probably be something like: “Thought (it was) a customer, so got into position unfortunatelyよ.”

しまう is a pain to translate. And I’m not gonna go deep diving to figure out just the right option for this line. Just picked “unfortunately”, but it doesn’t entirely fit with よ, so left よ in my “translation”.

Changed completely but not the same one ChristopherFritz pointed out (Kyoya's Page)

空輸したのー
The English translation makes that: “String into a lei.”
But really: “air lifted (here)の”

Would love a take on one of these actually. From Dejected Haruhi First Panel Page, page number 59.

むしろ あらゆる意味で 寒いですが。(I put spaces were the text was cut to the next line.)
English translation is: Your cold intent kinda defeats it, though. Which I’m not entirely sure how they got to exactly nor how literal it is.
Because literally it is something like this: “rather/instead all meaning/sense で(by means of) is cold however/but/still.”

Even knowing that I still can’t make sense of it. I really hate sentences where I know every word and probably every grammar, but I can’t put it together with the context to make it make sense. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes