9-nine-そらいろそらうたそらのおと 9️⃣ Week 2 (Visual Novel Book Club, offshoot)

This is being read as an offshoot continuing Episode 1, which was previously read as part of the Visual Novel Book Club.

Home Thread Here!

9-nine- ep2

Current week start date: March 31, 2023
Previous Week (Week 1) :infinity: Next Week (Week 3)

Pace

We’re aiming to read approximately 22.5 - 25k characters per week! A suitable enough end point will be selected each week and posted within the thread.

This week's endpoint: 23k

Mid 4/26.

Scene transitions and character count (Steam version)
Location Character count
Kakeru’s home 2
Kakeru’s home (Beginning of 4/24) 3 798
Kakeru’s home (Beginning of 4/25) 6 304
Street 6 497
School 7 770
Schoolyard 8 253
Nine ball 8 884
Nine ball (2) 11 493
Temple 12 239
Nine ball 16 691
Kakeru’s home 19 215
Kakeru’s home (Beginning of 4/26) 21 212
Street 21 516
Street (Endpoint) 22 951

Discussion Guidelines

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, do your best to provide context. Pasted text, screenshots, descriptions, etc. Unlike book clubs we can’t flip to relevant pages, so we may need a little help identifying exactly what is being discussed.
  • Feel totally at ease to ask questions or give your thoughts, any time! Clubs live and die by participation, and asking whatever question you have, no matter how silly it may seem, helps others who are reading it and even the answerer themselves.
  • Have fun, and do your best to interpret anything said with as much good faith as possible :slightly_smiling_face:

Participants

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading
0 voters
4 Likes

Done in two days. Glad I’m keeping up this pace.

Spoilers

Lots to talk about! This has been really eventful; I hope they can keep it up. I’ve been pretty happy with things so far. The history stuff is definitely going to be key to the overall story. There have been multiple references now to how things are named and I can’t help but feel there’s a lot of relevance there in the true nature of what’s going on, who is chosen, something like that.

The new characters were really something the story needed. I like my first impressions of Ghost and really that whole scene was pretty fun. Great CG of the three of them together. I could see the way this doesn’t always entirely take itself seriously rubbing some people the wrong way, but I was pretty amused by the way that dangerous situation fizzled out. It’s pretty funny having a few excessively chuuni kids get real powers, so now they’re babbling about ragnarok and judgment and whatnot but they might actually set each other on fire or something. I have a feeling that leader guy is in over his head playing out his fantasies and going to have a bad time when something real happens.

The scenes with Sora were also very cute. The inevitable romance angle kinda clouds my enjoyment, but when kept at an appropriate level, I really like the way the siblings bicker and take care of each other.

I have a feeling Kousaka’s struggle to talk and seemingly uncontrolled personality switching is going to make her chapter exhausting for a while, heh.

6 Likes

Lots of good stuff this week.

Spoilers

Sora was really getting full of herself in the first half of this week’s reading. As she kept following them around, I figured something bad was going to happen to her. I was worried it was gonna end like game 1 and the heroine dies and we revert back to the beginning again. I’m glad we’ve avoided that here :joy:

The scene where they came to her rescue was nice. I was honestly surprised Sora was completely fine and they just gave her back like that. Anyone else think the guy (I can’t remember if he gave a name? The 司令官 guy) has a super deep voice? I couldn’t help but think his voice was more fitting for someone in like their 40s rather than a high school student haha. The chuuni talk with him and Yuuki was interesting though. I can’t really tell if they were feeding off of each other’s chuuni energy or if everything they were saying was true? They seemed to know about each other’s “organization” and Yuuki said she made it when she was 8 during the café scene which leads me to believe they weren’t just spouting complete chuuni nonsense?

It was nice to see how much the MC really does care for Sora. I was glad they didn’t break it up with a gag like they usually do. Knowing that she becomes a romance interest later on does make it a bit weird but for now I thought it was cute.

I think Ghost was the girl at the end of the ep1 teaser and I’m getting vibes she’s the real villain here rather than the 司令官 guy.

I also noticed in the OP video that played this week, there was an image of Sora using powers with her hand.

I don’t think her current powers would make sense to use them as an attack like that so I wonder if she (and maybe the other cast members too) will obtain more abilities later on in this episode.

5 Likes

Very interesting events this week.

This week's spoilers

Really enjoyed the first part where Sora and Kakeru Johnny are investigating the history documents. As usual Sora delivered the perfect retorts:

I also found out that Sora and I have the same memory problems…

The confrontation scene was unexpectedly fun. Yuuki making the perfectly cool entrance, then the whole things breaking down into a Chuunibyou dialogue non-sense was hilarious.

I am also under the impression that Ghost is the girl in the “teaser” ending we had on episode 1, and it wouldn’t surprise me if she actually happens to be the Evil Eye user - but we’ll have to see I guess. It’s also suspicious that she’s unaffected by Sora’s power, so she’s definitely the one to watch out for.

I am finding Yuuki to be a lot more interesting and fun to watch than in episode one - like when she explains why she thought of talking as if Kakeru & co were part of her “society”

Delivering the line with 100% confidence :joy:

I also really liked the brother-sister bonding scene. I thought it was very nicely done, and the development of their feelings feels more polished than what we saw with Kujou. I don’t have anything to back this up, but I have the feeling this VN will chicken out and eventually come up with some of the “they are not really related by blood” excuse of some sort…

5 Likes

Hey sorry I’ve been kinda absent this week. I don’t think I’ll have time to write down my thoughts this week but I’ll make sure to include them in the next one. I’ve had and will have some stuff going on for Easter and won’t be around for a couple days, but I’m already preparing next week early so that I can get the draft done later today and hopefully post it using the phone on Friday. I’m not sure if everything will be posted correctly (especially pictures) but hopefully it does; if it doesn’t I’ll fix it on Saturday c: .

5 Likes

4 days this time. I’m slowly catching up.

spoiler

Starting this week with the best screenshot in chapter:

Ok, not really into that, but I am enjoying the seemingly wider variety of everything we’re getting in this episode. Character expressions, worldbuilding, Sora gags… There’s just been so much more depth of everything in the first two week’s worth of reading that I can’t help but feel like Episode 1 was some sort of intentionally hamstrung teaser for the series. If this is the new standard for the series I can see why the first episode took that hit to its ratings. As for the actual reading…

I’m surprised Ghost was more of a normal character. The teaser at the end of Episode 1, she was laughing on a roof or something like that right? I would have expected her to be on the chuuni train, but instead she just seems like the kind of person that wants to do her own thing and fucks around with annoyances. I’ll look forward to seeing how she gets developed along with the new guy- who am I kidding, I just can’t imagine substantial development out of a chunni based secondary character.

5 Likes

Just finished up this week in one sitting. I read the first week’s section earlier this week, also in a single sitting. Feels nice that I can sit through these in about 1.5-2.5 hour sessions. The next couple of days, I’ll have more free time, so I plan on trying to binge through the rest of it by Monday/Tuesday!

My general impression so far is that I definitely enjoy this episode a bit more than the first. I liked the first episode, but frankly, Sora is the best character of the series, so an episode fully focused on her is fantastic…even if I’m not totally looking forward to whatever thin excuse the VN comes up with for the romance bits. :sweat_smile: (What IS with this being a trope, anyway? I can only think it’s written by folks who don’t have siblings. :sweat_smile:)

The chuuni bits definitely had me struggling a bit though, I’m not gonna lie. It easily added 30 minutes to my reading time because it slowed me down. While it was quite funny, that much nonsense in a row was a bit of an uphill battle.

5 Likes